• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient tool not working with layer masks..

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'll start off by saying i'm not a photoshop expert by any means.. but I usually manage to get my projects done with a little fusing.

At the moment i'm trying to fade out the last few inches of a photograph so it blends more seamlessly into backgrounds it's placed onto.

If I use the gradient tool, set to "Foreground to Transparent" I get the proper effect, but instead of fading to transparent it fades to white.. which dosen't work when I move the layer over a coloured background.

I've read and watched many tutorials on this, and they all say to create a layer mask, and then use the gradient tool.. but for some reason anytime I have the layer mask selected the gradient tool won't work at all..

Can anyone provide any advice? I've been toying with this for hours..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

And making sure that the blending mode for the gradient tool is set to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Mine is still not working and is set to 'normal' any ideas? 

I'm trying to make the top of an image a transparent fade but when I do so on a normal layer it just shows up white and then switching to a layer mask you can see the black and white showing on the thumbnail but nothing happens on the actual image?

Images attachedCapture.PNGCapture 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@EthanM_25 It's a bit late to answer you, but since it could also help others, I'm replying here...

If you are trying to make the top of the image transparent, you need to click on the mask, then go to image>adjustment>invert (or use the CTRL+I shortcut, or you can also click the invert button that's hidden lower in the properties panel, if you scroll down) : it will be black on top and white in the bottom. Now you can then drag the mask you adjusted on Layer 0. The black will hide the opacity, and the white will show the image.

The way you had it setup, you were adding transparent pixels on top, instead of removing the opacity of the bottom layer.

I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else solve this yet? Ever since the beta and 2023, gradient tool doesn't work like it used to, even when set to classic.

I used to be able tp paint in a mask layer, with black and white, and I could swap quickly between black and white by hitting the X to swap the foreground and background color in the color picker..

now it just stays on whatever color I picked "first" 

this has really broken my efficiency in painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, @PECourtejoie. I've been messing around with this for an hour and that little mode setting is what helped me move on with my work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug is still there. Blending image with transparend gradient while using a mask doesn't work. There is no smooth transition and the part of the image that should blend nicely into underlying color. Tried everything and double checked my settings. Adobe please help/fix - it simply doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines