• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grayscale to Transparency transformation ?

Explorer ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I want to create a variety of transparency masks but a variety of them, with various sorts of dithering such as in the following sample.

Dither transparency.png

I only could perform the dithering thing by starting from a white to black gradient. I have multiple layers in a file (mostly smart objects to keep as non desgructive as possible), each with a different kind of dithering, but they are all white to black.

I want transparent to black instead. If you download the above picture (produced by Gimp: menu Colors > Colors to Alpha) instead of just viewing if in the browser, yo should see what I mean).  Points of attention :

• not only white to transparent but grey tones transformed to transparency levels
  • greys should not remain grey yet transparent, but black with transparency
  • my layers are currently smart objects

How can I do ? (I have found tutorials ht I could not replicate or it was only about pure white to full transparency).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2024 Jun 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can convert your image from white to black to transparency to black by doing the following:

1. Open your image in Photoshop
  2. Flatten it by going to the Layers panel menu (the hamburger menu in the upper right of the Layers panel)
  3. Add a layer mask by either clicking on the 3rd icon from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel or by going to Layer > Layer Mask > Reveal All.
  4. Click on the gradient thumbnail in the Layers panel.
  5. Select All - Control (Windows) / Command (macOS) + A to select all of the gradient and copy it.
  6. Alt (Windows) / Option (macOS) + click on the layer mask thumbnail to show it instead of the gradient.
  7. Paste the gradient into the layer mask.
  8. Invert the layer mask using Control (Windows) / Command (macOS) + I or by going to Image > Adjustments > Invert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Tokumeino â€“ It's possible to recreate the color to alpha function in Photoshop for black or white backgrounds using a complex action:

I created an English language compatible action version from the original Japanese language version here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-needs-quot-color-to-alpha-q...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/lqc7pf6amwb509iqi9pho/UnMultiply_2021_EN.atn?rlkey=fwiyntcxv02wcyh8hs...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My explanations are generally pretty simple and easy, I'm a lazy designer- no reason for the most part for actions  / adjustment layers / layer masks.   I also tend to ignore the info in the layers panel. 

2024-06-02_161617.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines