• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Half drop repeat not working as defined pattern?

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a repeat pattern by first creating all of my objects on individual layers, converting each one to a smart object, then placing a few elements off of the canvas. I am CMD-C then Shift-CMD-V each object on the x-axis and using the properites panel to move it down the full length of my canvas. 

Now I do the same thing for the Y-axis. Paste in place, move to the right full width of canvas, then up HALF the length. 

I am able to use Pattern Preview and everything looks seamless, but when I Edit-Define Pattern and test my pattern on another, larger canvas, all of my elements touching the edges are off. Most notably, the Y-axis but even the X-axis elements are just slightly off.

Does anyone know of a solution? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 5.34.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-09-06 at 5.33.58 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first photo is my pattern/tile and the second is what my tile looks like after Edit-Define pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you capture screenshot in View > Pattern Preview mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a repeat pattern by first creating all of my objects on individual layers, converting each one to a smart object,

Why? 

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use multiple instances of the same Smart Object? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»Now I do the same thing for the Y-axis. Paste in place, move to the right full width of canvas, then up HALF the length.«

What is the half-height-offset supposed to achieve? 

A side-note: Instead of duplicating the Layer one could use the Smart Filter Offset (with the pixel wdith of the document) set to »Darken«. 

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 13.30.15.pngScreenshot 2023-09-07 at 13.30.51.pngScreenshot 2023-09-07 at 13.29.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines