• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has Adobe already abandoned Type 1 fonts? How do I make mine work?

Participant ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extensis (which loves blamimg others) claims its Suitcase Fusion isn't failing to populate Type 1 fonts in Photoshop and Premiere Pro CC menus. It's because, they say, Adobe has already abandoned Type 1 instead of waiting until 2021 as promised last September

It's dreadful to have tens of thousands of dollars worth of prized fonts suddenly rendered useless — faces that an Adobe subscription fails to replace, like Linotype's Univers family ($945 and up) and Hoeffler's Champion ($384) among hundrerds of others. But Type 1 fonts are already refusing to populate CC menus after several uses. Is Adobe weaning us off Type 1 by disabling frequently-used Type-1s in active projects? If not, how do I load them? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If not, how do I load them?"

Hi

Try installing your Type 1 fonts as per Dov Isaacs's instructions here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/type-1-fonts-in-windows-10/td-p/10818443

Let us know how it works.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane. Windows has no issues with Type 1 fonts. The problem is Adobe which is soon to ban all Type 1 fonts — which it invented — from its products' type menus. Adobe unhelpfully does not say when in 2021 it will render Type 1 font usage useless. But now, my Type 1s vanish from Adobe font menus after a few uses. Is Adobe is jumping the gun? Has it slipped an algorithm into PS2020 that's already ceased use of these fonts? These fonts simply do not return, though others which haven't been used lately, do so — for how long?

Adobe brushes it off saying, essentially, "Oh, we have LOTS of fonts," but many of the all-time classics, like Univers, have not been licensed for CC subscribers' use. Sorry, Myriad Pro is an unacceptable substitute. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe brushes it off"

Hi

Adobe is a company, and Dov Isaacs's job is Principal Scientist at Adobe. He's the only one I would go to with a PostScript question. Please ask him in the "Type and Typography" forum here:
 https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/bd-p/type-and-typography?page=1&sort=latest_replies&f...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update, Jane. I posed my question to Dov Isaacs. However, when I raised my question at https://community.adobe.com/t5/type-typography/type-1-fonts-in-windows-10/td-p/10818443, it was deleted without a response. Lesson learned: Never question Adobe when writing its top scientist. More than disappointing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard very good things about FontLab's TransType 4 Universal Type Converter, but i haven't given it a try yet.  It supports Type 1 (.pftb/.pfa, .pfm, .amf, .inf) and Mac Classic Type 1, but not Multiple Master Type 1 fonts.

And asusming that the conversion to OpenType, TrueType and/or CSS font-face web fonts goes as expected, I imagine it's going to still be a small headached to open old project files.

There's a 7-day free trial:

http://www.fontlab.com/font-converter.tryanstype/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Warren. 

TransType 4 works in some cases, not in all. It crashes Windows 10 at every transaction when reassigning a face into its regular, italic, bold and bold italic component slots. It fails to process fonts that don't easily fall into these limited categories, such as semi-bold weights, Adobe Garamond Titling Caps, swash initials, and fonts wth decorative characters. It also fails to process most dingbat and symbol fonts, such as Adobe's Carta and Monotype's Bundesbahn Pi. Many of its menu functrions are not active, at least in the demo version. TransType fails to claritfy which will, or will not, be available with a paid purchase or why they're missing from 7-day preview use. When I ran into these issues, TransType tech support asked a couple of questions — then vanished completely. No hep, no solutions. This, for a $100 price tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

At least on Mac OS there is no obstacle to using Type 1 fonts in Photoshop 2020.
The same goes for Illustrator 2020.

I don't think Adobe has intentionally disabled it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 23.19.26.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 23.27.18.png

--
Susumu Iwasaki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try:

Fontxchange. They have a windows version https://fontgear.com/fontxchange.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks promising, but FontGear's site can't deliver its working demo for Windows. The link on the page you highlighted returns a 404 error. I've emailed them, we'll see what's up. 

Thanks, fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Strange...it works here. You can simply google it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines