• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help, need to convert/save my files so they are print ready

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have completed a children's book in adobe Photoshop using a combination of smart objects and multiple layers by combining multiple pictures. My question is how do I properly save my files/pages to be print ready? Much Gratitude for help as oddly enough I am finding it hard to find good info by just searching for it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no magic trick. You have to inquire with the facility that is actualyl going to print the stuff and then educate yourself about color management and pre-press. This is complex stuff, hence there can be no such thing as an all out 5 minute tutorial or whatever you were looking for. You also have not provided any basic info like specs of your images, color modes, your current color profile settings and whatnot, so it's impossible to advise specifically.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, That was what I was afraid of Lol! I am very new to Photoshop and watching tutorials can be confusing.

May have to take adobe Photoshop level 2 at the community collage. I was hoping I could figure this stuff out and save the $400 bucks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium is certainly not wrong.

But we can start you off with a few specific questions.

What are the Color Mode and the Color Space of your images?

What are Photoshop’s Edit > Color Settings?

What are the Color Space and file formats the printshop requests the print-data to be in?

Do your layouts include purely graphical elements (texts, shapes, …) in primary colors or pure black?

Please set the Status Bar of an image to »Document Profile« and post more meaningful screenshots including the Layers Panel.

Some reading:

Understand Photoshop color management

Color management and color science: Introduction

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20180520_230844.jpg20180520_230849.jpg20180520_230905.jpg20180520_230916.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there thanks for the reply. 

These are pics of one of my pages. They are all pretty similar in the way I formatted them. All of my pages including the text ones are very colorful. I started out using CMYK color mode on the main setup page before you complete your work. The size I used was 11'' x 8.5'' for each page. As for printer requirements I have no Idea as I haven't found a decent priced printing place yet. Thanks Nikki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started out using CMYK color mode on the main setup page before you complete your work.

That is generally not a good idea when editing photographic images; better stay in the images original RGB space and only separate flattened copies of the image to the necessary CMYK space at the end (or separate on pdf export from Indesign).

Only with certain graphic or illustrative subjects does it seem advisable to start working in CMYK right away; for example if texts  or delicate linework are intended to be printed as pure black.

Two more observations:

• Some of your Layer Masks risk edge pixel becoming visible; I recommend you don’t start a Layer Mask with »Reveak All« and fill it black but rather start with »Hide All«.

• You apparently transformed the Layers destructively; I recommend that you convert Layers to Smart Objects before that so that repeated transformations don’t accumulate image damage.

As for taking and posting screenshots please read this:

FAQ: How do I capture and post a screen shot or video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my, does that mean I need to redo everything?

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 2:41 AM, c.pfaffenbichler <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my, does that mean I need to redo everything?

You can do whatever you like with your images.

But starting working in CMYK when one does not even know the actual CMYK Space (as defined by an ICC Profile) of the prints seems, mildly put, unprofessional.

You may want to invest into proofing the whole book before the print run to make sure everything appears as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok, thank you for your reply.

I was just going by what my Photoshop instructor had advised me to do.

Looks like I need to take some more courses perhaps with a new instructor.

Again I appreciate your time.

Thank You

Nikki

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 12:03 AM, c.pfaffenbichler <forums_noreply@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines