Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help - Pen Tool Pathing Issue

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Have this issue in Photoshop for a while now where the pen tool add additional lines when creating paths in Photoshop, and also not changing when deleting/converting into a selection - can anyone show me how to change this back to the original pen tool pathing? I have included a video to better illustrate what I mean.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

I've managed to fix it - I noticed on my work machine that my path options were greyed out so I searched on the forums and reset my preferences, and now it is back to normal! For my own clarity, why does the path options grey itself out; is there any particular reason for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

I've managed to fix it-once I reset workspace now it is working perfect .
After the photoshop update V25.0 I faced this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! What verson of Photoshop are you using?

It looks like you are using the Curvature Pen tool (The second one from the top, and from what you noted abouve, I think you are looking for the Pen tool (Top one).

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 12.12.44 PM.png

Let us know if that fixes the issue,

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle, I checked and it was not on Curvature Pen tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! Have you tried resetting the Pen tool? 

Make sure the Pen tool is selected and then in the Options bar choose the tool option. From the little gear on the right of the drop down menu, select Reset tool. Here is a screen shot. Let me know if that fixes the issue?

Thanks, Michelle

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 2.15.42 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried both the Reset Tool and Reset All Tools to no avail - there were some tool presets which I hadn't seen before which I also reset but still all the same sadly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've managed to fix it - I noticed on my work machine that my path options were greyed out so I searched on the forums and reset my preferences, and now it is back to normal! For my own clarity, why does the path options grey itself out; is there any particular reason for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with mine. How did you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Edit > Preferences > General > Reset preferences on Quit, and that brought back the path options and the pen tool was regular again, hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset everything, checked all my preferences, and tried every suggestion on the forum since 2017 (when the same issue was brought up) and nothing changes.  My "Selection" options are all greyed out. Have there been any other suggestions to fix this problem??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've managed to fix it-once I reset workspace now it is working perfect .
After the photoshop update V25.0 I faced this issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines