• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a big problem when using the new CS6 on my Mac (os x 10.7.4). When switching to a new tool, like a brush, or clone stamp, or healing brush etc, Photoshop hangs for about 20 seconds before resuming. It's not 3rd party plug-ins, because I get the same behaviour when I run using the shift key and third party plug-ins are disabled. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. I've heard that others have had similar problems... are there any solutions - is it a known bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 405 Replies 405
Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2013 Nov 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that means no fix in 13.0.6?

Try the mouse solution in post #286. That would be a whole lot less trouble then what you just went through in your video.

Of course it would be even better if Adobe cared enough to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2013 Nov 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem as TheAlika and otheres here, It breaks my workflow completely and I am severely dissatisfied with adobe and photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best workaround I ever find to this is called CS5, 

I tolerante the problem with CC for some time,  but since mavericks it gets really bad,   so my solución was to go back to cs5 and thats it,   I can produce whit out problem 

I Miss some features from CC,   and Im still paying for it,   but its really unusable with this kind of bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Temporary Sloution:

On a Macbook Pro: when it starts laging, click on the trackpad.

(this should reset process being sent to the wrong place and quit the lag)

On a iMac / MacPro: You must have iether a trackpad or a mouse pluged in / Bluetooth enabled and click when it lags.

Thanks to #286 and #297

000wacom.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2013 Nov 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no update from adobe? I mean, I know patching is not as easy as it sounds but a status update would be apreciated, this has been going on since may last year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add my experience, I have been working with a user in my organizaiton who is facing the same issue as described in this thread.  What I find most intriguing is that this user is part of a department that has just over a dozen Mac Pro machines, all the exact same configuration, OS, RAM, processor, graphics card, Wacom drivers, etc.  Curiously, only one user is seeing this issue, whereas everyone else has no knowledge of such a problem occurring.  It sparks some interest in figuring out what in the software could be a common trend between all of us seeing this issue, as it clearly is not a generic problem occurring on all Macs or versions of Mountain Lion.  Has anyone made any headway in re-installing the OS from a blank state, loading up just Photoshop/CS, and trying to reproduce?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like your in a environment to test this idea. I have long wondered if this has something to do with the way one works. The speed in working after one selects the tools that causes this. If your user that see this works on a Mac Pro machine where a user is not seeing this issue or vise-verse?

Not that this is a fix but I have noticed if I work slower I rarely see this. I have two machine here and have this problem on both of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the latest Wacom drivers and am on OS X 10.6.8. I still have the same problem, but this works for me: As soon as you get a hang, stop (because what you continue to do is remembered and executed later). Put down the pen and tap the pad with your finger a couple of times. That reestablishes usability. Now use the pen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2013 Dec 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the problem seems to have no relation to how quickly or slowly one works. It's just a pesky compatibility bug that no company seems to be able to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did an absolutally clean install of Mavericks updated to 10.9.1 and installed only Illustrator, Indesign, and Photoshop CS6 and updated to the latest verison.

That hang after changing tools and the tool flyouts sticking out is just as bad as it ever was in 10.8.5 and maybe even worse.

Too bad Adobe doesn't care about this.

I will install CC to test but I have my doubts it will be any different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2013 Dec 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you need to switch to a PC, Was DYP. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 23, 2013 Dec 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Sounds like you need to switch to a PC, Was DYP. 

-Noel

You don't even want to go there!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all seriousness, I'm already there on Windows 8.1 for six weeks now and frankly loving it - with suitable tweaks and 3rd party add-ons of course (what you get from Microsoft out of the box is rubbish).  I've even written a book that's selling well on tweaking Windows 8 into a real workhorse of a system.

Photoshop works nicely on Windows, with no tool delays I can detect. 

I'm not sure what else you could be getting from OSX that could make it worth putting up with such delays, but I'm not being facetious - if Apple's not delivering what you need, let's discuss building a powerful PC workstation to get the job done.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 24, 2013 Dec 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be ridiculous, CS5 run just fine on the same machine with no tool delays.

Adobe software CS6 and CC is clearly the problem not Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2014 Jan 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has here been any update regarding this issue?
I know there is a large thread on the wacom forums regarding all kinds of lag withing photoshop. Personally I am lost on wether this is a wacom driver issue or a photoshop issue.
http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16152&start=60

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having the issue with latest version of CC. Doesn't seem to be as often. Still getting the disappearring cursor more routinley though which is frustrating. Have to click out to another app and then back to get it to return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's been a lot of discussion on Apple's support forums about it as well. I was googling another issue and came across a number of threads about Photoshop freezing with exactly the same symptoms/circumstances as discussed in this thread, but I was so fatigued by the whole thing that I couldn't face dwelling on it and bookmarking the threads.

It's blatantly obvious that Adobe dont care about fixing this issue despite how widespread it is. They've been dishonest about having live sessions with users affected by the bug and have most likely invested zero hours into researching it.

Over Christmas I installed the latest version of Mavericks on a fresh HDD. Still got the freezes. Yeah I was that desperate, I took a holiday day to do that. I hate that Adobe have the monopoly on image editing software and are essentially destroying our workflows. I really hope they do a Quark and obliterate themselves through sheer greed and user dissatisfaction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait wait wait,

There were no live sessions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those having this issue are you all using Wacom tablets?

For those with Wacom tablets, are they connect to hubs or keyboard or directly into the computer?

There was a statement put out by Wacom that recommended plugging directly to the computer which I have done. I am still testing this but so far have I don't believe I have seen this freeze since plugging the Wacom tablet directly to the computer. Might just have not done enough of the right kind of work though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I connected the tablet directly to the computer, but I had to use a usb extension cord to reach it... maybe that's why I still got freezes. Ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Directly into the iMac for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Meta A, only one reported live session that lasted less than 10 minutes. Many of us have offered to loan/sell our Macs to Adobe or to visit us on site to investigate but they won't bite for whatever reason.

My tablet is plugged directly into my Mac Pro. Also tried connecting via wifi. Still get the hangs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've done dozens of online screen sharing sessions, plus several in person visits to investigate this issue.

Usually the problem doesn't reproduce.  In a few cases we see the problem, but it appears to be related to a MacOS issue that we are still investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you're on the case. It can't be all that rare, though, since so many of us are experiencing the bug. It may well be OS X related, but it only happens while in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2014 Feb 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, is there any update to this?

Its been 4 months and i still cant use the lasso tool without ps bugging out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines