• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Photoshop CS6 hangs when using brush, clone, healing brush tools etc on Mac

Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a big problem when using the new CS6 on my Mac (os x 10.7.4). When switching to a new tool, like a brush, or clone stamp, or healing brush etc, Photoshop hangs for about 20 seconds before resuming. It's not 3rd party plug-ins, because I get the same behaviour when I run using the shift key and third party plug-ins are disabled. It doesn't happen every time, but it happens frequently. I've heard that others have had similar problems... are there any solutions - is it a known bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 405 Replies 405
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2014 Apr 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesus wept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So any word on a fix for both this and the lasso tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think Adobe has any intention of fixing this. Last test I did with the latest version of CC (WhiteWindowWorkaround plugin loaded) it still would hang after changing tools.

Wasted my money on CS6 that never got fixed, I have no intention of wasting my money on CC when all Adobe wants to do is make excuses. CS5 runs fine with this problem so I guess that is what I will use until Adobe decide to fix this in CC like it worked in CS5. Hell they won't even explain why CS5 could work without these hangs but CS6 and CC can't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, I fully agree with you.

Its just sad that it has to be like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is pathetic! I've given up posting to this thread for ages as my workaround of waving the pen in the air works well enough that I can use CS6. I'm not a full-time user now (I was in the past) and I do a lot of stuff with the wacom mouse which doesn't have the issue. How many people are going to keep bleating on a forum that gets no useful action? Adobe are big enough that they don't have to worry about these issues - shame on them that they don't bother though. I'm a software developer and this is a bug that can be fixed - even if it means a workaround - they don't appear to care enough to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2014 Feb 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

We all know that Adobe cares less about these issues at this poin

I understand the issues of customers and all that... But for now, let's see if we can come up with work around solutions.

Here is what I do.  See if you can replicate this method and it works.

*When the lag happens...

1. I switch to other applications using (Command + Tab)

2. Switch back to PS6 via (Command + Tab)

Lag is gone.

this also works with loading text lag.

Mac OSX bug?  I am not sure.  I had this issue as soon as I upgraded to CS6.  Long before OSX 10.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Mac system 10.9.3 with the CC version of Photoshop. Tools still hang. I have to go to the dock open another program and come back to Photoshop to get the tools to work. I haven't noticed that any particular tools hang. So far it has been across the board. It is now June 2014 and apparently Adobe doesn't care too much about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2014 Jul 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, still nothing but the semi-feckless white rabbit workaround???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I have not had the hang problem show up in CC2014.

Has anyone seen it in CC2014?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proper fix is included in PS CC 2014.  Previous versions (CS6 and CC) will continue to require the white window workaround plug-in to mitigate this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I no longer have the tool freeze but I still have the disappearing cursor, particularly when using and sizing brush, dodge/burn etc type tools. I size my brushes using the [ ] keys and as I size it the cursor vanishes and I have to click out of PS and back to see it again. But at least the freeze is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What OS are you using when the cursor disappears?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haven't upgraded because I have way too many 3rd party apps i use that I fear will break.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid the only good fix for that specific issue is to upgrade to OS 10.9.x.  I've had it occur in multiple applications on 10.8.x but never in 10.9.x.

YMMV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam,  the CC 2014 works without that bug,    but it has another annoyance,   it do a Mark on my files,   like a Barcode in random places,  so at my final piece I have to find it and blend it with the color of my piece,    it is often purple BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rex, that's a known issue that will be fixed in the next application update.  To work around it, change you tile size from 128K to 1024K for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adam,

I am using the most up to date version of Photoshop 2014 and also the most up to date Mac OS X (10.9.4) and still am having the hang problem--it has happened numerous times this evening.

Regards,

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Daniel,

Not really sure what your post is all about...could you please clarify?

Also, has there been any progress with this problem?

Norm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope no progress.  still happens with the white window fix and still happens in cc2014.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,  I think I found a fix, 

1-  Install the latest wacom drivers  6.3.9w3,   (that doesn't fix the problem)

2-  On system Preferences ,  open Ink

3-  Turn On Handwriting recognition

3-  Activate  show Ink menu bar option,  that will help you to turn on and off the option "Write Anywhere"

When working on photoshop, turn off the option "Write Anywhere" 

And thats it,  Its been an hour without hangs for me

Photoshop CC2014, on Mavericks 10.9.4

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.13.14 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.24.16 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2014 Oct 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rex.Lokus wrote:

Hey guys,  I think I found a fix,

1-  Install the latest wacom drivers  6.3.9w3,   (that doesn't fix the problem)

2-  On system Preferences ,  open Ink

3-  Turn On Handwriting recognition

3-  Activate  show Ink menu bar option,  that will help you to turn on and off the option "Write Anywhere"

When working on photoshop, turn off the option "Write Anywhere"

And thats it,  Its been an hour without hangs for me

Photoshop CC2014, on Mavericks 10.9.4

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.13.14 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 9.24.16 PM.jpg

Unfortunately this doesn't change a hang behavior for me. Still hangs after changing tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2014 Sep 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bought the latest Intuos Pro Ltd Edition, installed the latest Wacom drivers, still getting the hangs. Photoshop CC and CS6 on every version of the Mac OS from 10.6.8 up to Mavericks. Tried on various Macs including latest Mac Pro, 2009 Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iMac, Macbook Air. Every single config of hardware/OS exhibits the bug.

Any updates please Adobe? What are you doing to permanently fix this showstopping bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole plugin thing seems to have worked for me !  Thank you

Thank god, can't believe how long I put up with this pain for.

My symptoms were :

Brush tool wasnt updating every stroke - it would get stuck where I couldnt change palette or do another stroke.  Also healing brush was slow, and the hand tool was slow using space bar to pan the image.

To manually get it out of "stuck" mode I used to either click in my history or adjust my brush size using Ctrl+Option and pen horizontally. This used to wake it up the fastest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2014 Dec 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

except now it has created the problem that the Hand tool never goes away! (which I have never had before)

The toolbar shows I have healing brush activated, but the hand tool is in function only.  !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines