Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help Restoring Old Handwritten Patent for Legibility

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All!

I've been doing some research and came across a patent that I need to be able to read:

http://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNum=0&docid=X0007758

The first page is obviously easy to use as it is a simple drawing. The second through fourth pages; however, are almost impossible to read in their current state. My skills in Photoshop are insufficient to render this into a legible set of pages, so I'm really hoping someone on here is willing and capable of helping enhance it so I can read it and utilize the text of the patent in my research. This would likely be the first time the patent has been read since the digital age, if not for 100 or more years. I'm not looking for it to look great for printing or display, only for the sole purpose of reading it.

Thank you so much for any help! I sincerely appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried a couple of options and here is the problem -- when it was digitized, it was scanned as bitmap so all of the texture of the paper came as little black dots. If they were grayscale, it would be more accessible.

A manual way to handle it would be to paint with white the areas around the type, but that would be a massive amount of time. I've tried selecting the text and expanding the selection so I could fill it with white, but that is not working either.

I don't have a solution for you yet, but I will keep trying.

I know this isn't the answer, but when I was working on it, I blew up the type really large and was able to read it word by word. If we can't figure out a way to separate the dots from the text and extract the text, al least you might be able to read the text blown up to decipher it.

We'll keep trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a gray scale version that we might have access to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response! I reached out to see if I can get a grayscale/uncompressed version, but I highly doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me if the original no longer exists. I tried zooming into read it, but I wasn't too successful, especially on the second and third pages. Thank you for trying. I really appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whiten-Illustration.jpg

Workflow.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jason,  I'm not sure how legible this really makes it, but it's just a quick process and you may wish to try it.

I used a screenshot of your link and doubled the size before I started.  That may help with the original also.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines