• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I create a shortcut or action to save as JPG

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CS6.  When I press Ctrl-E in Lightroom and choose "edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments" there is no format option (I selected TIF rather than PSD when setting up the external editor). And the problem is that when I want to save in Photoshop the default is TIF not JPG so each time I have to select JPG.

So my question is how can I create an action in PS or set up a shortcut which will make JPG the default. The problem is that I need to save many versions of each photo so I don't want an action that will overwrite with the same name. Ideally the action would stop at the point where I can still edit the filename (so just before pressing "Save") but when I tried this I could not stop recording the action at this point.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the file is finished in Lightroom you can Export directly to jpeg there.

Jpeg can never be a Save default in Photoshop, because the jpeg format specification lacks support for almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop. A jpeg will in all but a few special cases be a copy with discarded properties.

The jpeg format does not support 16 bit depth, layers of any kind, transparency, or alpha channels.

However, you can set up an action that saves a copy to jpeg. If you assign an F key it's just a single keystroke. But before you do, you need to decide what to do with the full original with all properties intact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you D Fosse for this. But to be clear I am talking about the Save As command.  When I used Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 5 I could opt to edit externally in Photoshop as JPG (for some reason Lightroom Classic CC doesn't give me a JPG option for external editing, only TIF or PSD).  And then when I wanted to "Save As" from Photoshop the default format was always JPG.  The problem is I need to save many versions of each photo I edit and now each time I go to Save As the default is TIF and I have to change it which is very tiresome.  I tried setting up an action but it is impossible to stop recording the action until the file is saved ie after I have amended the filename.  So I can have an action to save a copy as, say, xxxxV1.jpg but I need to save several versions of the same photo so I would need a separate action for xxxxV1.jpg, xxxxV2.jpg, xxxxV3.jpg  etc.    Perhaps I should explain that the photos are for various news sites which require different watermarks, dimensions, etc.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK jpeg was never an option under Lightroom "edit in Photoshop". And the argument is the same: it would throw away too much data. For one thing, 16 bit would be impossible.

You could and still can Export to jpeg and open that in Photoshop.

In Photoshop CS3, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, unless the file already complied with the jpeg spec: 8 bit, no layers, no transparency and no alpha channels. A "hack" was introduced in CS5, that allowed saving a jpeg copy directly from the Save dialog, but later changes in MacOS rendered that hack impossible so it had to be removed. (workarounds were introduced later).

Again, jpeg cannot possibly ever be the default format in Photoshop, for the reasons I've explained. I'm still not sure you understand what a limited file format jpeg is. The only exception to that is if the file already is a jpeg, with the limitations that implies, and you haven't done anything in Photoshop that violates the jpeg spec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2022 Aug 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this.  In fact JPEG was an option under Lightroom "Edit in Photoshop".  I attach screenshots taken on my old laptop.   And as a professional photographer I am well aware of the limitations of JPEG as a format.  But the final copies of my photos are for online news sites which require JPEG files in various sizes.  I have also tried setting up an additional external editor in LR (for some reason the main editor only offers TIFF or PSD but the additional editor includes JPEG).  But it makes no difference - whenever I go to edit externally there are now no format options (previously I could choose between TIFF, PSD and JPEG).  And when I want to "Save As" each version in PS CS6 the default format is TIFF which is very tiresome as I have to change it to JPEG each time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nickc7863073 – Image Processor Pro can save multiple versions and also be recorded into an action. Not sure which version works with CS6:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/

Edit: I'm not sure if a script created in a newer version of Photoshop will work with CS6, however, you could give this a try:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-as-jpeg-again/td-p/12650865#U126...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"edit externally in Photoshop as JPG (for some reason Lightroom Classic CC doesn't give me a JPG option for external editing, only TIF or PSD)."

You can 'send' a file to Ps as a JPG (to edit in Ps as a JPG).

But to do this you need to create a Preset for Ps as an External Editor in the 'Additional External Editor' panel-

2022-08-11 13_38_33-Preferences.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I tried setting up an action but it is impossible to stop recording the action until the file is saved ie after I have amended the filename."

When recording action just do not touch filename, save files without even clicking or touching filename field. That will record path but not and filename.

save without filename.jpg

For multiple dimensions saved in omne pass use Image Processor Pro as already mentioned by @Stephen_A_Marsh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this - it is just what I need.  I have created an action as you suggested and now when I run it I am asked if I want to save a copy and just have to edit the filename (which I would do anyway).  The key thing is that the "save as" format is now JPEG so I don't have to change it each time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A gentle reminder that 6 or 7 years after its introduction, Export As can still not be added as an Action.

Adobe, FIX THIS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines