• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make jpeg the default save from raw files? Right know it keeps saving as psd.

Explorer ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I would like to change the default save format to jpg after editing a raw file. Right now psd is in there as the default and I have to go to the drop-down and choose jpg each and every time. I'd like to make jpeg the default. I used to have CS6 until I lost it due to operating system "upgrade" and it always defaulted to jpg. Thanks. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My basic understanding is this-

Ps uses .PSD or .TIF as a default to enforce the preservation of Layers, Bit Depth, etc, in the active document.

The 'modern' method of saving JPGs is to use [Save a Copy] when you can select JPG as the filetype,

( [Save As.] is an option if Preferences are set in File Handling > legacy.)

or, instead use the 'Export' functions-  [Quick Export as JPG]. Set the 'Quick' preferences in MENU: Edit > Preferences > Export  

(A Hint: You can change the [Alt+Shift+Ctrl+W] shortcut to be a "Quick Export as JPG")

or [Export As...] with options.

2023-05-21 08_12_21-20230429-RHC-D750-8755.NEF @ 16.7% (RGB_8_).jpg

(I have not fully explored the implications of 'embedded Profiles' of JPGs in the export methods.)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much. I can save as a jpg but I have to choose that option from the drop down each time and I'd like to not have to do that. I'd like it to be jpg by default. I did try the export section of PS preferences (see screenshot) but this isn't making any difference. PSD still the default. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Porcelain.Street 

What are your settings in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options for these:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy to filename

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The "legacy" option is checked. Not sure about the other as it's grayed out. I attached screenshot of that screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have made all edits in Adobe Camera Raw without editing in Photoshop, you can save directly to JPEG from ACR without having to open into Photoshop.

If you are opening into Photoshop for further edits, or that is just how you do things, then an Action or Script can default the JPEG save.

If you are happy to save to the same location each time, then an Action can be used to capture the JPEG format and save options (don't record the filename, just the save path).

Scripts provide more functionality than Actions. The following JavaScript code was from a similar discussion from last year:

/*
Default JPEG Save to Baseline Standard.jsx
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-as-jpeg-again/td-p/12650865
Stephen Marsh, 12th January 2022 - v1.0
Info: Uses the standard Photoshop interface with preset JPEG options
*/

#target photoshop

if (app.documents.length > 0) {
    var docName = app.activeDocument.name.replace(/\.[^\.]+$/, '');
    try {
        // Use the previously saved path
        var docPath = app.activeDocument.path;
    } catch (e) {
        // If unsaved, prompt for save directory
        var docPath = Folder.selectDialog("Unsaved base file, select the output folder:");
    }
    saveJPEG(10);
} else {
    alert("You must have a document open!");
}

function saveJPEG(compValue) {
    // Using the standard Photoshop dialog windows
	var ID = function (s) {
		return app.stringIDToTypeID(s);
	};
	var AD = new ActionDescriptor();
	AD.putInteger(ID("extendedQuality"), compValue);
	AD.putEnumerated(ID("matteColor"), ID("matteColor"), ID("none"));
	AD.putObject(ID("as"), ID("JPEG"), AD);
	AD.putPath(ID("in"), new File(docPath + "/" + docName + ".jpg"));
	AD.putEnumerated(ID("saveStage"), ID("saveStageType"), ID("saveSucceeded"));
	executeAction(ID("save"), AD, DialogModes.NO);
}

1. Copy the code text to the clipboard
  2. Open a new blank file in a plain-text editor (not in a word processor)
  3. Paste the code in
  4. Save as a plain text format file – .txt
  5. Rename the saved file extension from .txt to .jsx
  6. Install or browse to the .jsx file to run (see below)

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2017/11/downloading-and-installing-adobe-scripts.html#Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That seems very complicated. The script is a foreign language to me. I was hoping there was a box to check. This is so different from CS6. I don't batch process anything. I open the raw photos in acr. I do edits like exposure, color temp, contrast..... I open in Photoshop and make addition edits and usually crop a bit then I save, either with a new name or the existing four-number name. Before, when I had CS6, it as bing bing bing..... super fast because it saved as jpg. Now I have to manually go to jpg and choose that as file extension. This is so difficult and counter-intuitive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That seems very complicated. The script is a foreign language to me. 

By @Porcelain.Street

You don't need to know how to write a script or even be able to read the script, just follow the 6 steps for saving, then install or run the script.

Once installed, a custom keyboard shortcut can be applied to the script for easy access, or you could record the script into an action.

If your file isn't RGB, 8 bpc, with no channels, then PSD is the default to preserve these attributes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: the [Quick Export as JPG] from Ps-

I might suggest unchecking the  "Enable Legacy Save As"  in the Quick Export File Handling options.

This setting may be what is still activating the Export properties dialog.

2023-05-21 09_57_04-Clipboard.jpg

With this unchecked- My [Quick Export as JPG]  (with Keyboard shortcut re-assigned for [Alt+Ctrl+Shift+W] )-  I can save a JPG with [Alt+Ctrl+Shift+W]- The only question I need to answer is the desired Folder location.

Agreed: Export to JPG from ACR is a good option (if no editing in Ps is needed.)!

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks, I'll try unchecking the legacy box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, unfortunately this didn't do the trick. In fact, after unchecking that legacy box I no longer have the jpeg option in the drop down box, just "jpeg 2000" and if you choose that the file extension is jpf. No jpg. And still tho it wants to save as psd by default. Thank you tho. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do all this within Adobe Camera Raw (as outlined) but maybe you need to view a screen capture and give it a try:

Setup the options, save.Setup the options, save.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll look for that "save as" window or options screen in acr. I do make additional edits after opening photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are you seeing this save as window? I wasn't able to find it. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save Options I mean. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make an action that Flattens the image. That removes anything that would force the save to PSD.  I use F4 to trigger a similar Action and it is a huge time saver for bulk processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't know how to do this but I appreciate that you replied. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, @Trevor.Dennis has the right way to do this. A save to jpeg action is by far the simplest and most effective way.

However, it's not enough to flatten. It also needs to be converted to 8 bits per channel. If you have alpha channels, they also need to go, and for this you need to call a very short and simple script from the action. I picked this up somewhere here in the forum:

activeDocument.channels.removeAll();

Then the document will fully comply with the jpeg specification, and jpeg is available under "Save As". There is no need for Save A Copy.

Assign an F key, and it's push-button save.

It also makes things very much simpler if you have a fixed folder to receive these jpegs. I just have an "outbox" on my desktop. The thinking is that I never keep these jpegs anyway, they're always headed somewhere. They can be recreated with one click, so no reason to keep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying. This sounds like a very sophisticated and lengthy thing to do. I would not know where to even begin. I  don't know how to do an action in ACR or assign a function key to something. I probably sound like I'm not willing to try but it's more of a situation where I don't know enough to really understand what you said. I am just really surprised that for many many years I had Photoshop and all my RAWs just automatically saved as Jpegs and now I can't get it to do that, instead I have to manually override the psd default. While I'm disappointed, I appreciate all the replies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File > SaveAs and select JPG from the drop list.

Or use File > Export > Quick Export.  You can change quick export options to suit.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy. Yea, I can save a photo as a jpg, the first way you described. My problem is I want to set it to default to jpg, not psd so that I don't have to choose  jpg from the drop down each time. When you're doing a ton a photos that is very time-consuming. When I used PS before for a long long time it always defaulted to jpg. Then I had to give up that PS (last one was CS6) because I had to update my operating system on my Mac and it was no longer compatible with CS6. So now I have the PS subscription. And as you can see we are not getting along very well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, Photoshop never defaulted to save a JPEG (nor should it). Now it could be sticky from the last save, but again, JPEG is utterly inappropriate for a file format for lots of work: it doesn't support high-bit data and compresses and destroys a huge degree of data. It doesn't support layers. Photoshop can't read your mind. It doesn't know what you want until you tell it and defaulting to JPEG would be a disaster for many workflows. 

There are a number of ways you can save as JPEG as illustrated. And they can and should be used only if you want a JPEG and never when you don't. Which for many of us, is rarely or ever. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case I'm not explaining myself well, here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about. I have already edit this photo of two books in ACR and then opened it in PS and did some more edits. Then went to save it. It defaulted to 1234.psd. I want 1234.jpg. But I dont know how to get the jpg as default so I have to go to drop down (second red arrow) and choose jpeg. This is very time-consuming when you're talking about a lot of photos. Ok, thanks again people of Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, a JPG is a lower resolution flat file with very limited use potential.  Whereas PSD is a high resolution, layered work file that has far more value in case you ever need to re-edit/retouch the image at a later date.  

When I'm preparing files for output, I typically save in 3 file types:

• PSD (native work file),
  • PDF (for high quality print process),
  • JPG (optimized for web use).

If you do a lot of image processing, learning to use Actions Panel to record & reuse actions is highly recommended.  It will save a lot time and free you up for more creative & less mundane tasks.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/actions.html

Good luck with your project.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy. Yea, learning to use everything would save me time in the long run, I am sure. I have to save as jpeg for eBay. I have no need for these photos long-term. But I shoot RAW to be able to have more latitude for edits as I want them to look nice. I can't change the color temp in jpeg and for some reason my camera shoots really amber-y like it's at 6700 and I routinely have to drop to about 5500 to look right. They are greeny yellowy if I do not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines