• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make jpeg the default save from raw files? Right know it keeps saving as psd.

Explorer ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I would like to change the default save format to jpg after editing a raw file. Right now psd is in there as the default and I have to go to the drop-down and choose jpg each and every time. I'd like to make jpeg the default. I used to have CS6 until I lost it due to operating system "upgrade" and it always defaulted to jpg. Thanks. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2023 May 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off your camera's auto setttings and learn to shoot manually.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't change the color temp in jpeg and for some reason my camera shoots really amber-y like it's at 6700 and I routinely have to drop to about 5500 to look right. They are greeny yellowy if I do not. 

By @Porcelain.Street

Understanding White Balance.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/discover/white-balance.html

• When shooting with natural light on an overcast day, your photos may have a cold (blue) color tone.
  • Incandescent lights with typical tungsten filament create a warm (yellow/orange) color cast.
  • Some fluorescent lights can give photos an unnatural green tint. 👽

To compensate for lighting conditions, use a gray card (available on Amazon or B&H for just a few dollars).

A gray card is a square piece of material specifically shaded at 18 percent gray. This tool helps you find a perfect white balance in camera. To set white balance using a gray card, take a shot with the card filling the entire frame. Then go to your camera’s menu, select the option to set a custom white balance, and set it by choosing your photo of the gray card. You can also use shots of your gray card to help fix your white balance in post-production.

To adjust white balance of JPGs in Photoshop, use Filter > Camera Raw Filter.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2023 May 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nancy. I am shooting manually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this same issue. For me it's compounded by the fact that I deal with lots of files at once and I need to automate the process of saving them without having the batch process stop to change the drop-down option from Jpf  to Jpg for every file. I need jpgs because they are easiest to view/share on Google Drive. The fact that they are lossy is irrelevant for my usage.

My workaround is that I created an action and used the Save for Web option. The  files have to always go to the same folder. It took a while to figure out -- I tried Save As, Quick Export and Export As. None of those worked at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Donna27209154wb2y 

You need to Save As a Copy or enable Legacy Save As in your file handling prefs.

Export As or Quick Export can't be recorded into an action for use with the batch command.

Although Save for Web can be recorded into an action, it can't be used for the batch command as it isn't possible to override the recorded filename in export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Nancy. I'm sorry for delay in replying. I did not know that notifications of replies were going to my junk folder. Believe me I've bought every WB gadget out there, gray cards, white discs, you name it. Nothing is consistent or reliable. So, RAW it is. I'd love to be able to just shoot jpeg for eBay photos, so temporary. But they still have to look nice. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you shoot raw, the White Balance on the camera is meaningless. Raw is raw; only exposure and ISO have an effect. 
The numbers are then meaningless to a large degree. 
As to a WB target for raw:
https://photographylife.com/diy-reliable-and-cheap-universal-white-balance-reference-device

WB in the raw converter.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks digital dog. I adjust the WB in ACR after shooting RAW. If I shoot Jpeg and the color is off there is really no way to change it in PS, not realistically or effectively. So I have to shoot RAW to be sure I can fix the color. Sorry for delay in replying. I just saw that notifications of replies here are going to junk folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The teflon thread tape is interesting! I have some sheets of teflon that I use for infrared and ultraviolet photography with a modified camera. The IR/UV cutoff filter has been removed from the sensor, so with bandpass filters you can then use the camera for true IR and UV photography. All visible light is blocked.

The problem is, since you're shooting "invisible light", there's no reference for right or wrong. That's where the teflon comes in, because it's known to have uniform reflectance right across the electromagnetic spectrum well beyond visible wavelengths. It's by definition white in any situation, whether you can see it or not.

Those teflon sheets weren't easy to come by. Had I known I could just pop into my local hardware store...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Porcelain.Street 

Your screenshot shows the crop tool active.

Do you have the "Delete cropped pixels" checkbox active or not? Is there a single flattened Background image or is there a floating layer in the layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Stephen. Sorry, it took a whle to find that. Yes, the "delete cropped pixels" box is checked. 

There is a single flattened background image in layers panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Porcelain.Street please be aware of the issues associated with JPEG: 

JPEG files have compression applied, changing resolution or cropping and re-saving enhances the compression artefacts - this means that Jpeg is only really suitable for final file delivery/transfer - once size and resolution (and any sharpening) have been completed. 

Jpeg is not OK for editing or archiving or for any file that may need to be resaved, resized or cropped down the line. 

Jpeg is the worst possible format if you want to keep high quality - you should always archive a copy of your original, with adjustment layers intact - if that’s how you work.

Jpeg compression (at any setting*) really is "lossy”, irreversible and cumulative, so should ONLY be used only for final delivery AFTER resizing & cropping to the FINAL size and crop.

Why? Any edits to size or crop, or even just re-saving a Jpeg file means further compression, potentially that’s very damaging.

The jpeg damage is not always immediately apparent, which is perhaps why it's still widely used - however, the compression will soon cause issues if you do further work and save again. That’s when you’ll see a jpeg with some real issues.

*don’t imagine that selecting maximum quality for your Jpeg is preserving the original data, it’s still compressing a lot which discards information.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour managementh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to Acrobat support the other day. After several tests of workarounds (some were mentioned in earlier answers) the final outcome was to use Photoshop Version 23.5.5 instead of the latest version 24.7.0. You'll have to use "save a copy" instead "save as". I asked Acrobat support to implement the option to save as JPG by default again; I frankly speaking do not understand at all why this option was removed. The support agent did not have an explanation either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to Acrobat support the other day.

I frankly speaking do not understand at all why this option was removed. The support agent did not have an explanation either. 

By @heinzgutersohn

The reason the option was removed is because Apple changed their API and Photoshop had no choice. Details here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

Adobe came up with two choices for us to save a JPEG from an image that does not meet all specifications for JPEGs (Background layer, RGB, 8-bit, etc.)

• Save a Copy
  • Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options > Enable Legacy Save As

Did you mean Acrobat or Photoshop when you spoke to support?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save a Copy" does not enable to set JPEG as default file format in Version 24.7.0; I had to switch back to Version 23.5.5

I spoke to Photoshop support

Heinz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear: jpeg can never be a general default format in Photoshop.

The reason is simple: The jpeg specification is so limited that virtually anything you can do to an image file in Photoshop will put it outside the jpeg file format specification. It will not be allowed.

That's not Photoshop; that's the jpeg specification.

The old direct save to jpeg always saved a copy of the file - it just pretended it wasn't a copy.

The petapixel piece Jane links to is a good explanation, but it always bothered me that they missed a vital piece of the history. They start out by saying that this is a break with how things "always" worked "everywhere". But that's wrong on two counts. One - it was introduced in CS5 in 2010, and two - no other application ever did save directly to jpeg. Only Photoshop could ever do this.

Why is it that nobody remembers how this worked in CS4 and earlier? Then you couldn't save to jpeg at all, unless the file was flat, 8-bit, and no alpha channels. As, surprise, you still can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"To be clear: jpeg can never be a general default format in Photoshop."

This just isn't true. For many years I saved directly as a jpeg. No drop down box no nothing. It was default. If I saved a Raw file it saved as jpeg unless I specified otherwise. Then I had to "upgrade" PS earlier this year and now it's extra time-consuming steps to save from Raw to Jpeg and when you edit lots of photos this wastes a ton of time. After someone suggested a few days ago checking the legacy save box it is easier now but only slightly. I still have to have a drop-down to switch each and every time from Jpeg2000 to Jpeg. 

You say the old way saved it as a copy and pretended it wasn't a copy. I don't care what the backstage details were. The fact is I could save Raw photos to Jpeg by default and now I can't. 

It's frustrating. I wish I could've kept my old PS version (which I'd purchased outright years ago.) And transferred it to new computer. I mean, I bought it right? Now I have to pay a subscription. And it's not even as good and user-friendly as the old one. They have too many staffers coming up with unnecessary pop-up windows and bells and whistles and hints and suggestions and graphics. It's like gnats you have to keep swatting away. They don't need to keep updating and "improving" everything. They aren't improvments. Ok end rant, thanks for listening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Porcelain.Street 

That was because ACR used to open as 8 bit. Today that's  outdated, and ACR now opens as 16 bit to acommodate modern workflows. 16 bit is not supported in the jpeg file format specification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse 

Are you referring to the workflow options hyperlink? If so, this can be changed to 8bpc (unless that has changed).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, if you want 8 bits, you can get that.

In this case it caught the user by surprise, so it was a matter of default behavior, and that's what has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, if you want 8 bits, you can get that.

In this case it caught the user by surprise, so it was a matter of default behavior, and that's what has changed.

By @D Fosse

So the question remains, if the workflow options are set to use 8 bpc and the rendered raw file has no alphas or layers, will the last saved file format, if JPEG, be remembered?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2023 Sep 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't know, I haven't opened as 8 bit in a long time. But it should be easy enough to find out.

What I do know is that if the file is 8 bit and has no layers/alpha channels/transparency, then jpeg is available under "Save As" along with any other file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg I don't understand why this is so complicated!  All we want to do is save a jpg we've opened as a jpg without having to deal w a drop-down menu!  Like we've all been doing for more than a decade now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the post directly above yours. That's why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg I don't understand why this is so complicated!  All we want to do is save a jpg we've opened as a jpg without having to deal w a drop-down menu!  Like we've all been doing for more than a decade now!

By @CLCLOWER2008

Does the file currently conform to the requirements of the JPEG specification (flattened - no layers, 8 bpc, no alphas)? Do you have legacy Save As enabled in your preferences for file handling?  Did Photoshop save the JPEG previously, or was the JPEG created by other software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines