• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I make the stroke around a layer a dashed line instead of a solid line?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CS4 Adobe Photoshop with Windows 7 Professional.  I need to add a dashed outline but just can't figure it out.  Using stroke makes a solid line.  Is there a way to make a dashed line stroke?

Alternatively, is there a rectangle shape with a dashed outline?  @

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day!

Not even in Photoshop CC 2015 has the Layer Style that feature, but Shape Layers have, so one could create a Path from the Layer’s transparency and create a Shape Layer based on that.

Your version is too old for that, but you may be able to create a Brush and apply that to a Path.

Regards,

Pfaffenbichler

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the bush, and it didn't use the spacing. In that old of a version, I think the only way is to manually mask out the lines, which would be a royal PIA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 15, 2015 Aug 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if this is available in CS4.

Have you tried using the Rectangle Tool (not the Rectangular Marquee Tool) and selecting Stroke with a dashed line?

2015-08-15_16-21-21.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That feature was introduced in CS6 unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

You can try the Dashed Strokes layer styles in photoshop cs4.

Though it's not easy to get it looking right, so you might try adjusting the Size and Scale to get it anywhere close to looking decent.

dottedstroke.png

You could also use the Rectangle Tool to draw a path and stroke the path with one of the Square Brushes.

In the Brushes panel, one needs to adjust the Spacing and Roundness under Brush Tip Shape

and set the Angle Jitter to Direction under Shape Dynamics.

Still, i had to modify the corners with the pencil tool to get the below results.

dottedstroke-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines