• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I remove the extra shape folders?

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 7.08.32 am.png

Recently saw these new shapes, and I really wanted to use the old ones. So I thought that "restoring to defaults" will bring back the old shapes back. But unfortunately, it just gives me another set of the new shapes. So a couple of questions, first how can I get rid of the extra sets and second, is there a way to bring back the old shapes? TIA.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

The following instructions aren’t specific to the shape presets; all of the preset types that were recently overhauled and redesigned (Shapes, Brushes, Gradients, etc.) work the same way:

1. To delete unwanted preset groups (folders) or presets, select them and click the Delete (trash can) button at the bottom of the panel for those presets. Or drag them there like Chuck said. You don’t see the Delete button in the list that drops down from the options bar that you showed; that’s because you have

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about just dragging the folders to the trash can? Then use Legacy Shapes and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck, but where can I see the trash can?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I cannot see any thrash can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don’t see a trash can then you are looking at a list of presets but are not in the actual Shapes panel. To manage shapes (create/edit/delete), open the Shapes panel and do it there; see my earlier reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following instructions aren’t specific to the shape presets; all of the preset types that were recently overhauled and redesigned (Shapes, Brushes, Gradients, etc.) work the same way:

1. To delete unwanted preset groups (folders) or presets, select them and click the Delete (trash can) button at the bottom of the panel for those presets. Or drag them there like Chuck said. You don’t see the Delete button in the list that drops down from the options bar that you showed; that’s because you have to manage presets in their panel. In this case, open the Shapes panel by choosing Window > Shapes and manage its presets there.
  2. To get at the old shapes, open the Shapes panel menu (click the four horizontal lines at the top right of the panel), and choose Legacy Shapes and More. This adds the Legacy Shapes and More preset group to the panel. Sadly, the old presets are buried in more subfolders, but you can dig out the old ones and arrange them at the top of the list if you want, then delete any you’re not interested in.

Yes, it’s a lot of steps and definitely not intuitive, but…that’s how they did it. Overall, the redesigned presets are much more flexible than before, it’s only how you get to the old ones that are a pain.

Note that Restore Default always adds the current default presets — not the old ones, and it does not delete anything. It only adds. That’s why Step 1 above is about first deleting the presets and preset groups you don’t want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, so yeah it's right there in the window>shapes, that's why I can't see the trash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks a bunch Conrad. I was going crazy trying to delete a duplicate shape folder. I tried from shapes tool menu but no trashcan. followed your method and it worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines