• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I build an action for subject extraction and saving to a png with a transparent background ?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I need some help! I would like to build an action to take a few 100 images in files, extract the subject from each file, then save the extracted image as a png with the subject using a transparent background. I have batched the subject extraction. What I can't figure out is how to SAVE a file as a PNG with a transparent background with a unique filename. 

Can someone share how this is done?  Thanks!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

@Stephen_A_Marsh  Thanks for the shout-out.

Auto Crop won't mask the image to make the background transparent.

But Batch Web Images will.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/photoshop/batch-web-images

That one might be just what @stevec46934102 is looking for.

If it doesn't work quite right, I'm always interested to hear how it could be improved to solve the challenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh  Thanks for the shout-out.

Auto Crop won't mask the image to make the background transparent.

But Batch Web Images will.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/photoshop/batch-web-images

That one might be just what @stevec46934102 is looking for.

If it doesn't work quite right, I'm always interested to hear how it could be improved to solve the challenge.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@willcampbell7 – sounds like an update is due! :]

I read "select subject" and save to PNG and thought of your script right away... I obviously didn't consider the background removal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen_A_Marsh  All good either way. I appreciate the mention. I might have noticed the post myself, but I got buried in some projects. Haven't been able to get on the forum yet this week. Thanks again for the mention.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries, I now remember the topic where the Batch Web Images came from, but had forgotten its application to this topic! Looks like I am going to have to better familiarise myself with your scripts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will and honestly everyone - this was my first time posting and wow - this community rocks!  I learned so much and have a lot more to learn.  Will - your script gets it done!  and thanks for putting in the readme file how to run the script and incorporate into PS!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Awesome! I'm glad it gets the job done.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have recorded the filename in the action, you need to tick the override action save command checkbox in batch.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/processing-batch-files.html#process_a_batch_of_files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case that you still have problem, please explain which script you are using to automate procvess? There are options in Image Processor Pro to append to file name or to create unique filenames by adding numbers, for example. What is your end goal for filenames? Custom filename with sequential number, sequential number appended, suffix appended or something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines