Jan 11, 2016 Jan 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anybody tell if and how I can change a photo from KB to MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a tricky question.  Yes you can increase the size with Image > Size (Ctrl Alt i), but the problem is that will be come pixelated and lose quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will it change that much if I go from 800kb to 1Mb? would like to put this photo on a 24x36 canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is its size in pixels?  And what is its content?  The file size is not not terribly important.  The number of pixels and how thinly they will be spread across your intended print size is what counts.  Ideally, you want 300dpi, so at 24 x 36 inches (you didn't give us the units)  that would work out to 7,200 x 10,800 pixels, and your 800kb is going to be a _long_ way short of that.  Because that is such a big print, and won't be viewed too closely, you can get away with 150dpi, but I am certain your image is much too small even for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

original pic is a jpeg 1024x686 381kb, DPI 17, photo of my daughter faces. yes units inches

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lowest print pixel density you are going to get away with is 100dpi (and that is really pushing your luck), and that works out to 10 inches by 6 inches.

Where did the picture come from?  There is probably a bigger version of it somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friend took the pic and placed on a website, and I downloaded. site, cant remember

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

would you suggest a smaller canvas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markb32301379 wrote:

will it change that much if I go from 800kb to 1Mb? would like to put this photo on a 24x36 canvas.

Depends on the image, especially if it's a JPEG, as compression artifacts will become more apparent the bigger they're blown up.

The better question would be: What are the pixel dimensions and DPI of the image? You can get a decent print provided it's all within reason. A poster wouldn't need that high of a DPI since they're designed to be viewed at a distance. (Around 150 DPI.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines