• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Clear Up Space on a Scratch Disk?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know how to free up disk space and how to clear out space on the scratch disk. I am unable to use features of Photoshop because the "scratch disk is full", and I am still not sure how to address this. The scratch disk is located somewhere on my C: drive, but I can't seem to find where it is located. Do I use an outside source for my scratch disk in the future? Thanks, community!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It is always good to have free space on your main disk, as the link is super, I try yes or yes, to leave about 10Gb free.

Regards,

WbolanosCo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the C: drive is designated as your scratch disk, that is your main HD.

There isnt a location on your HD where the scratch disk is located - it IS your C: drive entirely.

The issue is as you use PS, it builds up space usage until you quit.

I would follow Michelle's recommended link and also designate a different drive than the same as your storage/application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am having the same issue as Meranne, however only the C: drive is showing. I also have 334G of space - isn't that more than enough space for what I need?  I'm relatively new to PS so any help I can get here would be greatly appreciated! I'm trying to create a vector image but can't my scratch disk is full and PS won't save any of my changes. Thank you! Erica2020-09-28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Erica. what size is the image you are trying to create. Often this was caused by a crop with the wrong units: 1920x1080 inches document at 300ppi makes a very large image.

If you only have one disk, you can't change the scratch assignment.

But 300GB is more than enough, I'd try to reset Photoshop's preferences by holding down Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Pc) Cmd+Opt+Shift (Mac) as you click on Photoshop's icon to start it up.

See: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If you do have access to the menu Edit>Preferences (Pc) or Photoshop>Preferences (Mac), it is possible to reset them from the General submenu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I may have figured it out! Will post an update soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See screenshot for comparison.

image.png

Scratch disks fill up cumulatively with Photoshop Temporary files. The longer you work, the more scratch disk space you use.  330 GB may seem like a lot but it's not.  And restarting your computer multiple times per session is no solution.

Tips on freeing up scratch disk space.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/how-to-fix-the-scratch-disks-are-full-error-in-photoshop/

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like I have figured it out. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's nothing to figure out. There's no trick to it, you just need more system disk space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines