Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

How do I close the workspace window in Mac?

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past entering command-w would close everything but now it only closes the file I'm working on. How do I get back to my desktop without having to additionally click the red button at the top left of the workspace window?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021
Ok, Command +H will hide Photoshop and you will be back at your desktop.... try that and let us know. The first time you try this it will ask you if you want to use this shortcut to hide Photoshop, you can say yes and that should be it.  You can also create your own shortcut if you wanted here:

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off the application frame.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, how do I do that?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I found it under Windows. However it doesn't close the "frame" (usually defined as something like a picture frame) it only closes the area within the frame so my file is floating around over my desktop. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Woody16B8,

Are you trying to close as in quit the entire application, or are you trying to minimize?  Command + W does close the file you are working on and returns the home page, but are you looking for some other function?

Here is the entire list of shortcuts in case you want to file this away for future needs:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/default-keyboard-shortcuts.html

Let me know if I missed your goal and will be happy to help further.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't want to go back to my home screen, I want to return to my desktop with a keyboard command.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Command +H will hide Photoshop and you will be back at your desktop.... try that and let us know.

The first time you try this it will ask you if you want to use this shortcut to hide Photoshop, you can say yes and that should be it.  You can also create your own shortcut if you wanted here:

CoryShubert_0-1631643411238.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WINNER, WINNER Chicken dinner!

Thank you Cory, and go to the head of the class for your gold star.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines