• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do i create a 'shadow' on a background image?

Participant ,
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to photoshop and I'm running the version of Photoshop on my 8.1 Windows PC. The latest version does not run on my current operating system

I would like to create a background image and the color of the image doesn't really matter. However I want to create a shadow on the top border of that image

How can I do this.

The other question I want to add to this is how do I make that image a certain size. Meaning a certain height and5 width in terms of pixels

For example a YouTube thumbnail requires the image to be a certain size or a Facebook cover photo should be a certain size

So when I have size requirements I would like to know how I could save my image so it is that size

Keith

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could create a shadow may ways. Paint one in. Add a gradient into a empty layer as above the back\ground layer.  There are always more than one way to do thing in Photoshop.

You can change the number of pixel you have by interpolating the image using Image size with Resample checked. However, you should only do that when you constrain restrain the resize to preserve the image's  aspect ration so the image will not distort.  If you need to change the image's aspect ratio you need to Crop the image to that aspect ratio discard some image content  or use content aware  scale to distort the image to that aspect ratio you need  ration while trying to preserve the aspect ratio of recognized object in the image you can add a mask to identify areas you do not want distorted.  Content aware scale will not always be able to create a scaled version that will be acceptable to you.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to make a shadow, which is flexible and easy to edit, would be to click the lock item to convert the background to a regular layer.

Then choose Inner Gradient Overlay from the fx menu.

You can start with these settings and adjust as desired.

If you want to change the transition, click on the gradient bar.

And drag the opacity stop to the left to shorten the shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keitha70260201  wrote

I'm new to photoshop and I'm running the version of Photoshop on my 8.1 Windows PC. The latest version does not run on my current operating system.

Hi Keith

What version of Photoshop are you actually using?  It could make quite a difference on how to make your shadow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis​

Im using  ----  Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.8 20190226.r.442 2019/02/26: 1205701  x64

Can you show me step by step instructions how to create a solid background image, then add a shadow to the top border and then show me how to save the image to a certain size (i.e. 1200 x 768), as a jpg or png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to change the image size was already mentioned in the first response by JJMack. Choose Image > Image Size command. JJMack also explained how to create a shadow, and I gave you an alternate method for creating a shadow.

When saving as jpg or png, you can choose a specific size.  One way is to choose File > Export > Save for Web (legacy).

In the upper right corner, choose the file type.

In the upper right corner of the dialog box, choose Optimize to file size.

Enter your desired file size.

You might not get the exact file size you enter, but the size won't be any larger than what you entered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, a drop shadow needs some white space around it. Otherwise you won't see the shadow.

In this example, I'm using a transparent background and a canvas of required height and width.  File > New.  See screenshots.

Fig 1.

Next I clicked the new layer icon and used the Shape tool to draw a rectangle filled with cyan color.

Fig 2.

I double clicked on the rectangle layer in the Layers panel to add a drop shadow.  Click on Drop shadow to pen the settings panel.  Adjust the dtop shadow angle to 90 deg and other settings to suit.  Hit OK.

Fig 3.

Fig 4.

Finally, go to File > Export > Export As and save as a transparent PNG.  Hit Export All button.

Fig 5.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy OShea​

I created a video followup and  as it turns out the shadow effect is not what I want. Please look at the following video, less than 2 min, to see if you can help me

Shadow Photoshop - YouTube

Thanks Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  For this  first example, I applied the Blur tool with 100% strength and a large, soft, round brush to the background of DaVinci's Mona Lisa.  Instead of a sharp edge, the line is ever so slightly blurred. 

This second example is done with the Marquee tool and a Feather Radius of 50px.  I drew a rectangular selection around tthe Mona Lisa's face.

Next, go to Select > Inverse (Ctrl + Shift + i)  and hit the Backspace key.  The result is a soft blur around the entire image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this what you want?

First open the image in Photoshop. Quite likely, it may be a background layer. If it is, click the padlock icon to convert it to a regular layer.

Choose Image > Canvas Size. Leave the anchor in the center if you want to increase the size on all 4 sides. Increase the width and height. For example if you want to add 1/2 inch all around, you would use these settings:

Now we have this:

Choose drop shadow from the fx symbol at the bottom of the layers panel.

To set the drop shadow only on the top, choose -90 for Angle.

Now you have this:

If you don't want any extra area around the image, choose Image > Trim > Transparent Pixels.

If there is still extra area, use the Crop tool to crop the image.

The top needs to be large enough to show the shadow. I used the crop tool to crop only the left and right sides.

Choose File > Export > Save to Web (legacy). Choose PNG24 for Preset. That is the only choice that will preserve the transparent area at the top and give you a soft drop shadow that will let the background of the web page show through. If that doesn't matter, choose Preset JPEG and the transparent area will be opaque.

If you choose JPEG:

I don't know what your image looks like, but if it is a photo with a lot of colors, it will probably look best as JPEG.

Click the Optimize menu in the upper right and choose Optimize to file size.

Enter the desired file size and click OK.

Then click Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I'm not following what you provided. It's not working on my end. I just want a blank image with a background color of 'white'. I want the top edge to be 'blurred' if that is the correct terminology.

A shadow means to me a 'shadow' appears behind the image. This is not what I want.

I want something to appear on the top edge only that shows some type of shadow or blur effect. This means in front of the image.

As I mentioned I'm new to photoshop and I don't know all the terms, etc. If you're going to reply to this I would prefer you create a video instead if all possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the video you posted, the shadow is behind, not on the top edge. That is why I gave the instructions in post #9.

If you want the shadow in front, follow my instructions in post #2 or follow JJMack's instructions in post #1.

If neither of none of these instructions give the results that you want, then clarify what you do want by posting an image that does have the results that you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, a picture of the desired effect would be the best way for us to help you.  Otherwise we're all just guessing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines