Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do i deblur a license plate

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Are any of these examples from a video, or are they all just still clips? there is a technique called "Drizzle" that can increase the resolution of some images from frames with multiple exposures. It involves enlarging the original image several times, then putting them into a smart object and using mean to blend them together. It's mainly use for astro-photography, but I know a forensic photographer that uses this also.

http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/resources/Articles-&-Reviews/Drizzle_API.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the highest resolution image you can get of that? If so, there's nothing there to deblur. Is it a video clip? There's a technique called Drizzle that can get a little more info if that's the case,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chuck. It is a still from a video - I will have a look at drizzle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2015 Sep 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are any of these examples from a video, or are they all just still clips? there is a technique called "Drizzle" that can increase the resolution of some images from frames with multiple exposures. It involves enlarging the original image several times, then putting them into a smart object and using mean to blend them together. It's mainly use for astro-photography, but I know a forensic photographer that uses this also.

http://www.stark-labs.com/craig/resources/Articles-&-Reviews/Drizzle_API.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 28, 2015 Dec 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

car and driver - Copy.jpegHi, I'm trying to deblur this license plate from a Hit and Run that occurred over the weekend.  Can anyone assist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much to see there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can anyone here help me with a reg plate? thanks IMG-20160118-WA0000.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

received_10153311530376404.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG-20160118-WA0001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hate to say that but there is nothing you can do. There is not enough pixels to get it right, but the good news is that there is another software that can do the job. AMPED FIVE - Videosurveillance enhancement samples . Just go to the police and show them the software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting software. Looks like it's geared more towards video, where you can have multiple frames to use a modified "Drizzle" process to improve the image. Doesn't say how much the software is, but if it requires a dongle, then I can guess that it's not cheap. I have a friend who's a forensic photographer - will have to ask him about this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe i can get some help as well. This vehicle was involved in a hit and run that almost killed a pregnant woman. our little police department has asked the publics help if they see the truck around but werent able to clean up the plate enough. so let12705741_1136580476354427_8991762712222596458_n.jpg12705502_1136580556354419_5692792451014403197_n.jpg12742320_1136580506354424_2923136750872268762_n.jpg see what yall can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's not enough info in these images to try and extract the numbers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Do all these pictures go the same as google earth license plates and can you deblur it using stark-labs.com technique called drizzle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drizzle works well with video footage or multiple still shots, but the plate still has to be large enough in the frame so that there is some infomation there. Some of the above photos are just too low res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2016 Mar 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

vlcsnap-2016-03-26-10h51m57s663.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey So I have a Bit of a Challenging one Ive been banging my head against my desk for. It was taken at night and not with the best quality ive tried quite a few things so far and  no luck. Anyone think they can get any numbers off this plate besides the 7.

Heres the originals and  only progress ive been able to make.

crop.jpg

lighter.jpg

try1.jpg

try2.jpg

any help would be great thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the aid of a magnifying glass, the only number I can see besides 7 is the number 2; its left side neighbor (although sometimes it looks like a 8, maybe due some artefact effect).

Please, could you tell me how did you improve your images?

I have a similar problem, and my images have qualities worse than yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey guys, I have a similar problem, and I'm struggling to catch the robber of my car. I have a video that shows the theft of the car, but the quality is terrible. I've been trying to uncover the license plate of the thief. If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.

The following image taken off  from the video shows the license plate tag I'm talking about. I'll understand if you feel urge to laugh.

LicensePlate.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

msandro wrote:

I'll understand if you feel urge to laugh.

More like cry.  You have no pixels of the license plate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was what happenned at first; and I'm not ashamed to tell that this made me shed lots of tears. But after trying some basic functions of photoshop (mainly those of contrast and sharpen), I got some symbols that look like alphanumerics characters, as shown in the picture bellow. You may say that this could be some artefact effects, or even some kind of mirage. But don't you think that the software from the link http://ampedsoftware.com/samples, as suggested by ntenisk???, could solve my problem? One issue with this software is that it is restricted to law enforcement, military, government agencies, or certified professionals only.

Placa1.png

Note that in my contry the license plate layout is like this:

Resultado de imagem para placas de veículos roubados

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately.... debluring something is not easy.  You see those shows where the FBI or Cops deblur or zoom in on objects.... but in real life software (at least public software) can not really do it the way you see on tv.  Can make some images more crisp.  But it will never be perfect.  Nor will one be able to fix a blurred license plate on a tiny pic that is low res.  Just not that possible.  Now if it is a high high high res pic, then maybe.  But it will never be totally clean.

Now if you are working on a project where you want a license plate seen you can always create one and then stretch it to fit it to cover the car's original plate.  That is an option.  But also remember if it is a project and the car does not belong to you then there are laws against you showing someone's license plate in an image that you created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be happy If I be able to pick up some numbers from the license plate, because the police has a software that allow to find out the remaining of the alphanumerics characters, based on others information about the car.

Since the car I'm looking for is also wanted by the police, I don't think I'll have problem with the law, no matter the technique I use to uncover the license plate.

By the way, do you know where to find some literature or tutorials about creating a license plate and stretching it like you said?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about this picture taken by cctv camera. Would really like to see plate or just part of it wiil help. Sorry i have no idea how to add the photo...sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add photo, just click on the 7th icon (from left to right) in button bar of the editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only part of the plate will help.

Again, to add photo, just click on the 7th icon (from left to  right) in the button bar of the editor.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines