• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I disable updates for CS6 in Creative Cloud?

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I purchased CS6 years ago as a standalone application. I recently upgraded to Photoshop CC 2019, but still have CS6 installed on my computer and would like to hang on to it.

But the Creative Cloud app keeps showing an update for CS6. When I attempt to update, I get this error:

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 2.13.29 PM.png

I'm not interested uninstalling the version of CS6 I have to get the CC version of CS6, so I'd just like to disable the updates for CS6 so the CC app isn't constantly telling me I have 1 Update available and automatically trying to update it. Is there a way to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Creative Cloud window, in the upper right corner are three dots. Click there and go to Preferences. CLick on Creative Cloud across the top of that page. at the very bottom, un-check "Enable Auto -Update". that should fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That setting in the CC desktop app applies to the CC desktop app itself.

The main CC applications are never auto-updated. You always have to initiate the update manually. But you will get notifications, which can be annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Creative Cloud window, in the upper right corner are three dots. Click there and go to Preferences. CLick on Creative Cloud across the top of that page. at the very bottom, un-check "Enable Auto -Update". that should fix it

That only stops the auto-updates. CS6 still appears as an app with an update in the CC window. Then when I click on "Update All" I always get an "Update Failed" message.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 1.09.01 AM.png

What I want to do is stop CC from trying to update CS6 completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think JJ is on to the right answer: CC breaks perpetual CS6 licensing.

If you still need to have CS6 installed for whatever reason, I'd uninstall and reinstall it from the CC app. But! - be aware that this could mess up your file associations if you're not careful. What I'd do in this case is uninstall all Photoshop versions in reverse version order, starting with the newest. Then reinstall those you want to keep, this time in correct version order. The latest version installed will take over all your file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I had similar issues a few years ago when I moved to CC.  In the end I just removed the perpetual CS6 and CC and installed everything I wanted from the CC app on the basis that if ever I needed to revert I still have the original CS6 key and could re-install. So far I have never seen the need to do that. The reality is though as hardware and operating systems advance there is going to be a point where CS6 won't run.

I do though still have CS6 perpetual on an old laptop still with its old OS frozen in time. I only use it to check out the odd forum question about that version.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

CS6 Creative Cloud version 13.1.2 runs very well on Windows 10 once you fix the Perpetual CS6 that Creative cloud breaks even though one did not Ask Creative Cloud Desktop to Update Perpetual CS6 for some reason  it tries to update CS6 and that brakes perpetual CS6 in the process so the update fail to install.

CS6 is one of the better version to use so is CC 2014.  Newer version of Photoshop have more issues than CS6 and CC 2014 but also have some new features.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative cloud broke my CS6 perpetual install and CS6 updates always failed after that.  I fixed that problem by installing CS6 on top of CS6 the broken CS6 which reported itself as version 13.0.  This install Back leveled CS6 to a working version 13.0 and then the CS6 updates worked.  However I no longer have Perpetual CS6 Standard Windows version 13.0.1.3 instead I now have Creative Cloud CS6 extended version 13.1.2.    Some extension that worked in CS6 perpetual do not work in creative cloud CS6 and a  Scripting Bug I reported is fixed in creative cloud CS6 but not in Perpetual CS6.

There are three CS6 versions Perpetual CS6 Windows version 13.0.1.3.  Perpetual CS6 Mac version 13.0.6 and Creative Cloud version 13.1.2

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try to manually update it if helps! Update Photoshop CS6 from 13.0.4 to 13.1.x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines