• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get a white background when I expand a canvas? I get a black and white grid that I can't us

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get a white background when I expand a canvas? I get a black and white grid. I want to use the Text tool here but it doesn't show on this grid. I've been using this option for a while, but suddenly the white background doesn't show up.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The grid you are seeing represents transparency.  You need add a new layer beneath the background layer, and fill it with white

image.png

With white added to new layer

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do it as Trevor mentioned, or make sure you have a backgound layer - named background, then make sure white is your background color, then expand the canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which way it happens depends on whether or not your original layer is the opaque Background.

If you expand a canvas that contains a bottom layer with the capitalized name Background and with a lock icon on it in the Layers panel, the document background is not transparent, so the expanded area takes on the current background color swatch. If your background color swatch is set to white, then the expanded canvas area is white.

If you expand a canvas where the bottom layer does not have a lock icon on it, the document has transparency behind all layers, so the expanded canvas area is transparent, indicated by the checkerboard pattern. In this case, your choices to get back a white background are to flatten the document (lose all layers, leaving just the locked Background), or as others are saying, add a white layer and send it behind the image. (I like to use a Solid Color fill layer because it’s parametric/editable, not rendered pixels.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I checked the image I'm workin on and it is called layer 1 . How do I get a Background layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Background layer is made during the creation of the file if Background Contents is set to something other than Transparent in the New file dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a document has no Background layer and you want it to have one, select any layer and choose Layer > New > Background from Layer. The selected layer becomes the Background layer.

Photoshop-New-Background-from-Layer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The project ideas are superb i get more information from this .your work ideas are great and excellent .
Thanks guys for sharing .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines