Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get hex codes for colours?

Contributor ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just want to copy the hex code from an image in Photoshop so I can use it elsewhere.

I can't see how to do this anymore. It used to be easy in Photoshop.

I can't find any tutorial on Youtube either.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked in the color picker? If you double click on a color swatch after sampling a color, at the bottom should be the Hex code

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The info panel is also a great place to find color info. You can change the default settings in its wing menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that's not what I get when I double click on a colour swatch - unless I'm doing it wrong?Apr 28, 2018 12:33 AM.webm - Google Drive

^ screen recording

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Two comments :

1. Go to Preferences General and choose the Adobe color picker

2. Hex codes are meaningless. They are just numbers in base 16 representing RGB colors. However without the context of an associated color profile they do not describe an actual color.

The same color can have different numbers in different color spaces and similarly, different colors can have the same Hex numbers in different color spaces.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davescm  wrote

Hex codes are meaningless. They are just numbers in base 16 representing RGB colors.

Right. But how do you convince someone that #6f5ed5 is not really a color, but whatever you want it to be?

"Hexadecimal" has all the trappings of computer lingo. We all know that computers can calculate the square root of {Σ=©/$} in a nanosecond, and you're telling me it can't pinpoint a color down to exact spectral wavelength? Alan Turing would turn in his grave.

I think this is why hex has survived to this day. It sounds seductively accurate - but in reality it's just RGB in geek's clothing.

Punching hex codes:

Female_Computer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Right. But how do you convince someone that #6f5ed5 is not really a color, but whatever you want it to be?

It doesn't help when even respected companies like Pantone publish colours, in that format, on their websites, without any reference to the associated color space. They may as well say "lightish purple" .

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hex code do have the advantage that you can copy and paste their values in one step, rather than three separate ones for R, G, and B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 29, 2018 Apr 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I must admit I use them this way a lot in After Effects coz we do t have a swatches panel. However I have started using the Libraries panel as a place to sample my colours from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for clarity. There is nothing wrong with entering a hex code per se, just as there is nothing wrong with entering RGB decimal numbers. The issue comes when the hex code was referenced in one color space and that hex code is entered directly  into an image in a different color space. The uninformed user is then surprised to see a different colour.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. You still need an embedded sRGB profile for hex numbers, if you want predictable color. And you still need a standard profile conversion if you take those numbers into a different color space.

In other words, as we've been saying all along - hex is just a different way to write RGB numbers. No more, no less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Where I see hex color numbers is in web design code. So it has that purpose and somewhere sRGB must be defined or assumed. That was a while back. I don't know what format they use now to define a color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You star. Well done.

Why the hell would Photoshop default to the Windows colour picker suddenly?

Hex codes are very meaningful for me because I'm always working in sRGB

Thanks muchly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lflegg  wrote

Hex codes are very meaningful for me because I'm always working in sRGB

As long as you are aware of the limitations - then that's fine

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that's exactly the point. As long as you explicitly treat it as sRGB numbers, all is good.

When people start to think of it as absolute colors, they're in trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines