• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I insure I've disabled my printer's color management (Epson)

Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe CC on a Mac; the printer in question is an Epson ET 8500.

I want Photoshop to manage the colors. Of course, I get the message "Remember to disable the printer's color management in the print setting dialog box".

Unfortunately, when I click on this Print Settings button:Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 6.37.04 PM.png

I only get this list, and none of these have an option regarding color management.

Screen Shot 2021-11-23 at 6.38.52 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Solving my own problem: this Printer requires an additional step on a Mac to load the printer driver. Having done that, everything is working fine now!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solving my own problem: this Printer requires an additional step on a Mac to load the printer driver. Having done that, everything is working fine now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the wrong print driver, so you don't see the area to ensure it is set correctly for color management in the application. You've got a print driver from Apple, not Epson.

Download and install the correct print driver from Epson's site. Then you'll see this important area (that depending on the application, may be automatically set as seen below).

NoCMS.jpg

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator please change current labels of this thread to macOS (and delete my post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, that screenshot below’s the Apple default 'Gimp/Gutenprint' printer driver. 

Gimp.jpg

it CAN be useful if the printer doesn’t have a driver from the manufacturer (too old maybe) but the Gimp driver does miss some important features as Digital Dog points out here.

Another clue is : Are media names the same as previous Epson drivers you've used, i.e. is 'Premium Luster Photo Paper' mentioned or are the media types just matte or gloss? This is the proper media options list from an Epson driver

Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 11.15.20.jpg

In the System Preferences 'Print and Fax' pane, when installing the printer, it seems important to select the printer name under "use" - if you select 'Airpirint' there, OSX seems to default to the Gimp driver.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines