• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I make simple 3D text

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time ago I followed a YouTube video about making 3D text for a banner and like an idiot neglected to book mark the video and forgot the technique so I was wondering if somebody could help.  Essentially the YouTube video was about how you create your text then create a duplicate and then move one of the duplicates slightly and trasform it to the other so that it gave it a 3D effect.  I remember in the dialogue box the number of steps could be selected but not much about where to find the tool to do it.  So if you could help I'd be greatly appreciative.

Regards

Nick

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are numerous ways to make a 3D Type effect other than using photoshop's 3D engine, which is being taken out. Here is a very simple method.

1. After you create your type layer, duplicate the layer.

2. Change the color of the duplicated layer text to a slightly darker shade of color

3. Move the duplicated layer below the original text layer

4. Press the Ctrl+Alt (win)/Cmd-Option (mac) while using the arrows keys to extrude

the type.

In other words, keep the Ctrl+Alt keys pressed while clicking say the down arrow then the

right arrow.

Repeat till you have extruded the type to your liking.

d.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly works but it isn't quite the technique that I saw.  There is a way in Photoshop to select both layers and created a stepped effect without using the ctrl alt keys.  Basically doing what the ctrl alt keys do but automatically and you are able to specify number of steps from one bit of text to the duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a more subtle effect, you can use 1 Type layer and apply style effects from the Fx panel (double click your Type Layer). 

image.png

In this example, I used Bevel & Emboss with Contour and Texture + a Drop Shadow.  Experiment with settings and values to refine your look as desired.

image.png

image.png

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and that is certainly one way of doing it but not the way that I had seen

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also search for 3D text effect PSD file on the internet. There are tons of free and premium ready made 3D effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the answer and I know there is loads of stuff out there but I was searching for a particular effect that I saw on YouTube but stupidly failed to book mark the video and that was ages ago and now I've forgotten the technique.  Hence my question, which as I think I said involves writing said text and formatting it and then duplicating it.  Then the tutor of this video I think selected both objects and was able to blend on layer of text to the other in a selected number of steps so it looked three dimensional.  But I've forgotten how it was done, so I don't suppose you know?

Thanks again

Regards

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nickperks wrote:

...I think I said involves writing said text and formatting it and then duplicating it.  Then the tutor of this video I think selected both objects and was able to blend on layer of text to the other in a selected number of steps so it looked three dimensional.  But I've forgotten how it was done, so I don't suppose you know?

Photoshop doesn't have a Blend command. Illustrator does, which includes blending in a selected number of steps. Illustrator also has 3D, which was recently revamped. Are you sure the tutorial was for Photoshop and not Illustrator?

No one has said yet that 3D is being removed from Photoshop because it no longer works properly in modern operating systems. Most likely the YouTube video that you can't find was made with an older version of Photoshop. You can download Photoshop version 22.2 (from February 2021) if you need to use 3D.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/3d-faq.html#discontinued-photoshop-3d-features

If anyone can figure out how to do what you are asking with the limited information you have given us, it would be our 3D expert. I'll tag @davescm .

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I must admit, the original post does sound a lot like Illustrator's Blend command.

To do similar in Photoshop would involve multiple transform and copy steps (Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E) similar to that shown by Jeff in the first reply.

3D extrusion is no longer a reliable function in Photoshop but can be done using an older version (v22.2 or earlier) or using a 3D application.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines