• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I mask text within text?

Contributor ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone provide step by step on putting text inside text (see example)? Seems like it would be simple but I must be missing a step or two.

Using Photoshop v25.6

Win 10 64

Thanks

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Here's on way:

1. Enter your smaller text.
  2. Enter your larger text that you want to use to make the text in Step 1.
  3. Ctrl (Windows) or Command (macOS) + click on the thumbnail of the text in the Layers panel for the text from Step 2 to load the selection.
  4. Select the smaller text layer.
  5. Click the Layer Mask icon (third from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel) to mask out the rest of the text.
  6. Hide the visibility of the text from Step 2 or delete that layer unless you want to keep it to change

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's on way:

1. Enter your smaller text.
  2. Enter your larger text that you want to use to make the text in Step 1.
  3. Ctrl (Windows) or Command (macOS) + click on the thumbnail of the text in the Layers panel for the text from Step 2 to load the selection.
  4. Select the smaller text layer.
  5. Click the Layer Mask icon (third from the left at the bottom of the Layers panel) to mask out the rest of the text.
  6. Hide the visibility of the text from Step 2 or delete that layer unless you want to keep it to change its color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Thank you Thank you. That was it. I appreciate your time and answer! So happy now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! I'm so glad I could help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is another way that removes the need to make a separate mask.

1. Type in the large text in white and set the blend mode of that text layer to multiply (the white text will disappear against the background)

2. Type in the small text on a new layer (in whatever colour you want) and set the blend mode to normal

3. In the layers panel, Alt-click on the border between the two text layers. A small downward arrow will appear and the smaller text will be clipped to the larger text , taking on the shape of the latter.

Both text layers remain editable.

2024-04-02_09-47-51.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines