• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I save ico in Photoshop CC

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently updated to Photoshop CC and can no longer save files to ico format. In CS6 I had a plugin from this website: http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ but they don't have anything for CC listed yet. I tried to drag that plugin into the CC plugin folder and it didn't seem to change anything, restarted Photoshop and the machine as well.

Does anyone know if there is a new plugin out there. I used google and couldn't find anything, maybe I'm searching for the wrong words. Any help on this would be appreciated, I need to make a little more than 300 icons this month for my companies product and don't want to have to install CS6 back on the machine.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, finally I made it. The problem was in the size of the photo I wanted to save as .ico file. It was apparently too big, 512x512px.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2015 Jun 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you dutzageoorge. I am just a newbie who don't know where about is the telegraphics thing until come cross your post. thank you for the link!!!

now I got ico plugin in my photoshop cc 2014. just so happy that I can start customize my file icons XDXD

But I got a question, maybe silly, but if you can, please help out

I save the image to 256*256 pixels before I can save it as .ico file. Then i find my work is much smaller than the one comes from icoconverter.com.

Since they make me an icon with full size, my own work only occupies a small area in the center of the icon frame if you know what I mean.

Do you know how to make it as as big as the normal icon/occupy the whole icon frame? Plsssssss

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah its helpful advice alright - if a bit too elaborate imho.

I just use .pngs and then edit those .pngs in photoshop then I open IcoFX

and make nice icons there - and yes its well worth the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2015 Mar 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Photoshop CC you don't need any plugin.

Save image as png for web, rename png as "favicon.ico" and...

That's all

Ciao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2015 Apr 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Giovanni! This was the simplest solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

giovannimanca wrote:

With Photoshop CC you don't need any plugin.

Save image as png for web, rename png as "favicon.ico" and...

That's all

Ciao

Hey, good tip.   I actually found a better, more straight forward download page for the ICOFormat.8bi file yesterday.  It is still on the Telegraphics site, with less clutter, and easier to see what to grab

Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software

If you want to use as a Drive icon, place it as 256x256 pixels in the root of the drive, along with a text file named

autorun.inf

the contents of which should be

[autorun]

icon="the name of the icon file.ico"

Be warned that doing stuff like this is a fist step to irredeemable Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and before you know it, you'll be carefully lining up every object on your desk, and even aligning the magazines when you browse them at your local paper shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where "favicon.ico"? can be any text such as  " funny.ico" , xnxnfgtjt.ico or  "etcetera.ico"   ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IrfanView is no fuss. Just check off save transparency color when saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Telegraphics plugin still works in CC (on Mac) but you do need to make sure of 2 things.

1. Image Mode = RGB
  2. Image Size < 256px

That should cause the "ICO (Windows Icon)" option to show up when you "Save As"

The downside to just renaming a .png to .ico is that Earlier versions of IE (8, 9, 10) don't support png favicons, even if they're renamed to .ico (http://caniuse.com/#feat=link-icon-png)... although I haven't tried adding `type="image/ico"` to `<link>`

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For anyone having troubles, I can confirm that as of 15 Feb 2017 and with Photoshop 2015.5 and Windows 10 64-bit, the "Save an icon .ico file in Photoshop" / "Save as .ico" plug-in at Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software DOES work. Download the proper file from that address, unzip it, drop it into the plug-ins folder, restart Photoshop and all is well.

The plug-in allows for saving an image as a cursor (.cur), icon (.ico), or favicon (.ico).

A couple of things that may be causing people problems:

1) If you have 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Photoshop, you MUST use the 64-bit version of the plug-in.

a) Check Windows: Right-click the desktop icon labeled "This PC", select "Properties", look in "System type:".

It should say "64-bit Operating System". If it says nothing, then it's 32-bit. It will not actually SAY 32-bit.

b) Check Photoshop: Click "Help" then "About Photoshop CC..." - If it says "X64" at the end of the version number at the top,

then it's 64-bit, otherwise it's 32-bit.

c) Check the plug--in: There are 3 plug-in versions at the web address listed above:

1) 32-bit - named "ICOFormat-1.6f9-win.zip" that is for all Photoshop versions and 32-bit Windows 7 and above. It is for .ico files and favicons.

2) 32-bit - named "ICOFormat-2.1b1-win.zip" that is for all Photoshop versions and 32-bit Windows 7 and above. It is for  .ico, favicon, .png, and .cur files.

3) 64-bit, the file we want - named "ICOFormat-2.1f1-win64.zip" is for Windows 7 and above and includes Photoshop CC versions.

It is for .ico, .cur, and favicons.                                  

2) The location of the plug-in folder, which seems to be a hassle for some people, is very easy to find. Simply right-click on Photoshop's desktop

icon (or in the menu,    either works the same) and select "Open file location".

A Windows File Explorer window will open with "photoshop.exe highlighted. In the address bar at the top it should say "(C:) > Program Files > Adobe >

[photoshop version]". (Mine says (C:) > Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop CC 2015.5)

Click once where it says the version of Photoshop (again, mine is "Photoshop CC 2015.5"). This takes you to the Photoshop directory itself, of course.

Now double-click where it says "Plug-ins". This is the folder into which you will place the extracted (unzipped) plug-in file that you downloaded.

3) Needless to say, the file downloaded must be unzipped before the plug-in is placed in the Photoshop Plug-ins folder. The file will have an extension of .8bi or .8bf.

Note that you can drag and drop the entire unzipped folder (my 64-bit version's folder is named "ICOFormat-2.1f1-win64") into this folder or just dropping the

file itself will also work.

Windows 7 and above (8.1, 10) has a built-in file extraction utility. You can use, but do not have to have, any of the myriad of file compression/decompression

utilities such as WinZIP, WinRAR, 7zip, etc.

In Windows, just right-click on the .zip file and select "Extract", which will be near the very top of the context menu that opens. Note the name of the folder where

the file is going to be extracted to. It should be the same location as the file you are unzipping so it's not easy to get lost. Once extracted, return to step 2 above.

4) Last but not least, the file you are attempting to save in Photoshop MUST be 256 x 256 pixels or smaller or the .ico, .cur, etc. options will NOT be listed in the

"Save As" file-type drop down box; the box where the default is always shown as "Photoshop (*.PSD, etc.)"

I hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's funny.  I always use File > ExportAs > PNG (any size required).  And then change the file extension to .ico from Windows File Explorer.  Works great every time.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that if your image is not 16x16;32x32; or 64x64 the option will not even show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not work for me in either of my versions CS5 or 2018 or 2019 CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on Photoshop CC 2014.I had the same problem but after adding the given plugin i got rid of this.Here what you have to do is to create a page of (256 x 256)px or less than it.Now create your icon or cursor and save it with format you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to do this without a plugin or does Adobe have a safe plugin of its own?  OR can I use another adobe product to accomplish a conversion to .ico from any other file type? I am reluctant to use a third party plugin that is unfamiliar to me as safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there a way to do this without a plugin or does Adobe have a safe plugin of its own? OR can I use another adobe product to accomplish a conversion to .ico from any other file type? I am reluctant to use a third party plugin that is unfamiliar to me as safe."

Technically, you don't need any special plugins.  Just go to File > Export > Export as PNG.  Then change the file extension in Mac Finder or Windows Explorer from .png to .ico.   Done.

If you use good anti-virus, plugins are nothing to be afraid of.  Many Photoshop features actually began life as 3rd party plugins. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it didn't work. I went to file, export, export as png, changed file extension to .ico and when I went to Windows Explorer to change the File icon and selected the .ico version I made, it did not work (did not find any ico files--or something to that effect.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plan B:  Use the online converter. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines