• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I start Adobe Bridge in Photoshop?

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing my tutorials in the photoshop textbook (2021), in the lession it says to start photoshop, choose File>Browse in Bridge. That option doesn't appear in my File tab. Do you know how to fix this?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

If your mac has an M1 Processor, then that's the reason you don't see File>Browse in Bridge in photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

As of the photoshop 2022 (23.3 update) File>Browse in Bridge is present on M1 Processor Macs

brba1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

outputFolder.path.toSource()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok thanks, this is where it gets confusing to me. I was not able to figure out exactly what to replace. The following snippet is not working correctly. Does this path code line sense?

bt.body = 'with(app.document) thumbnail = decodeURI(File(presentationPath).path) + "/" + '+ outputFolder.path.toSource(),bt.send()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You completely don't think what you do 😕 What's the point of using presentation path here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried with and without the presentation path and am still unable to get Bridge to display the outputFolder after the Photoshop script executes.  The following lines do not work.

bt.body = 'with(app.document) thumbnail = decodeURI() + "/" + '+ outputFolder.path.toSource(),bt.send()

bt.body = 'with(app.document) thumbnail = '+ outputFolder.path.toSource(),bt.send()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'with(app.document) thumbnail = presentationPath + "/" + ' + theFolder.toSource()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help. I was able to make it work with outputFolder.name. This only works with folders that are on the same levels as the source folder. 

callBridge()

function callBridge() {
  BridgeTalk.bringToFront('bridge');
  (bt = new BridgeTalk()).target = 'bridge'

//select folder 
  var theFolder = outputFolder.name;
  bt.body = 'with(app.document) thumbnail = decodeURI(File(presentationPath).path) + "/" + '+ theFolder.toSource(),bt.send()
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your code does not work. Use this inside your code instead of unworking part:

bt.body = 'with(app.document) thumbnail = presentationPath + "/" + ' + decodeURI(Folder.selectDialog().name).toSource()

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have thought of this before, however, what if one wanted to select/make active the open file in Bridge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was answer to Polycontrast

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is separate, feature creep, I just thought that it may also be nice to have the document selected in Bridge after it has been browsed by the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change path to fullName

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again... Wow, I can't believe that is all it took! I'm just blundering around in the dark 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you trying to send a folder path or document path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the first instance, it was just the folder, then in hindsight, I thought that it also might be a good idea to send the file as well so that the file could be selected to better show what was open in Photoshop when the script was run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kukurykus â€“ Thanks again, I just tried the script and it works great, so much more useful than the native "Browse in Bridge..." feature that just opens Bridge, it makes much more sense to have Bridge show the active document directory (if previously saved) than just any old folder!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2022 Mar 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fallen_Nyx 

Did you try what Melissa said? Just open the Bridge application? Once there, browse to your class files, then open the image.

• Open the Creative Cloud app, then launch Bridge
  • Open the Applications folder and launch Bridge
  • Use Spotlight and type "Bridge"
  • Put an alias for Bridge in your Dock or Sidebar or Desktop and launch it from there.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a v2 of the previous script, special thanks to @Kukurykus for helping to extend the original code.

/*
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-do-i-start-adobe-bridge-in-photoshop/m-p/12818569
Stephen Marsh, v2.0 - 21st March 2022
*/

/*
// Add a new item in the File > Automate menu to separate the script from the normal scripts folder
<javascriptresource>
<name>$$$/JavaScripts/BrowseInBridge/Menu=Browse in Bridge...</name>
<category>BrowseInBridge</category>
<menu>automate</menu>
</javascriptresource>
*/

#target photoshop

// Saved doc
try {
    app.activeDocument.path;
    var bt = new BridgeTalk();
    // Call Bridge
    bt.target = 'bridge'; // Version agnostic
    //bt.target = 'bridge-11', // Bridge 2021
    //bt.target = 'bridge-12', // Bridge 2022
    // Make Bridge the active app
    // Display the Photoshop doc's parent folder in Bridge
    //bt.body = 'app.document.thumbnail = ' + activeDocument.path.toSource(); // Folder
    bt.body = 'app.document.thumbnail = ' + activeDocument.fullName.toSource(); // Select File
    bt.send();

// Unsaved doc
} catch (err) {
    BridgeTalk.launch('bridge');
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the photoshop 2022 (23.3 update) File>Browse in Bridge is present on M1 Processor Macs

brba1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the update Jeff!

I still prefer the script, as my expectation is that the Browse in Bridge command would take one to the folder/file open in Photoshop, which it doesn't do, all it does is opens Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines