• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I update a custom brush and save it?

Participant ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone.

I'm just getting into brushes in photoshop.  I've finally created my first brush that works for me as a "pencil". 

I've saved it and it's now a preset in my Brushes.  However, I want to alter the settings on it. However, when I make changes to its settings, they don't stay and I can't figure out how to update my previously created "pencil" to my new settings.  It defaults back to the old settings when I select it.  

Also,  sometimes when I select a default preset from the brushes menu.  That preset will only work for something like the erase tool.  What if i want to use that preset and all it's settings but with the paint brush tool?  Can I somehow do that?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»However, when I make changes to its settings, they don't stay and I can't figure out how to update my previously created "pencil" to my new settings.«

You need to create a new Brush (and you can remove the old one if you don’t need it anymore). 

Don’t forget to save the abr-files to avoid losing custom brushes if the preferences should get corrupted. 

»That preset will only work for something like the erase tool.«

Many people seem to have problems understanding what creating Brushes with »Include Tool Settings« checked means. 

If you are using Brushes created by others and they deemed it prudent to use that setting you should take it up with. them. 

Bzt I think one can override the Tool Settings by ctrl-alt-/cmd-alt-clicking the Brush. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines