• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how do i use .jpeg as a texture?

Engaged ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello:                                                                           Level: Newbie'ish  OS: Win7 64 bit  Ps: Cs6

I have some jpeg files that I would like to use as textures. As I understand it the Patterns folder is the same as the Textures so I am assuming this is where I need to place Texture files.

However, I cannot seem to find any instruction regarding the use of .jpegs as textures/patterns.

Do, I just drag (from downloads) and drop the .jpegs into the Patterns folder like I would with a .pat file?

I read a thread that said it's a pretty difficult process to convert/change a jpeg into a pat file ...... is that true?

Well, sooooo .... can someone please help me to figure out how to make a pat outta a jpeg? I would GREATLY Appreciate your time & assistance

Off to feed the cats ... brb

Thanx again!!

ps. where oh where is this pattern maker creature i've intermittently read about?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Open the jpeg file you want to use. Go under "Edit" and you should see "Define Pattern". If you pick that, it will allow you to give a name to your pattern and it saves it in the pattern presets ie. if you go to Styles and pick Pattern Overlay, your newly defined pattern will be there for you to choose. NOTE: I haven't played with this so you will need to check out for yourself re repeating patterns etctera if you actually want to "tile" the pattern rather than just have it applied once. Also, y

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the jpeg file you want to use. Go under "Edit" and you should see "Define Pattern". If you pick that, it will allow you to give a name to your pattern and it saves it in the pattern presets ie. if you go to Styles and pick Pattern Overlay, your newly defined pattern will be there for you to choose. NOTE: I haven't played with this so you will need to check out for yourself re repeating patterns etctera if you actually want to "tile" the pattern rather than just have it applied once. Also, you may have to save it using Preset Manager so it doesn't disappear after you close Photoshop (I haven't checked that yet).

Query why you want to bother doing it this way? Just inquiring, is all, please don't be offended. When I want to use a file for texturing, I just drag it into my document, over or under what I want texturized depending on circumstance, and play from there with filters, blend modes, masking etcetera. I don't see any advantage in having it as a Style preset or defining it as a pattern. Am I missing something obvious (trust me, I do that almost as a full time occupation).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kimberly

Thank you for your thourough explanation. I am a new user so I have no idea why....

I am, (as usual) following a tutorial and it calls for a leather pattern

it then has a "handy" link to a leather "pattern" but the so called pattern in merely a .jpeg photograph of leather (I have not used textures that much thus far ~ at least not ones that aren't already preinstalled).

I actually find that most Textures available are pictures in .jpeg

(I started this yesterday but i guess Adobe or Firefox or my pc had a breakdown and i couldn't finish)

So, since then I followed your way of doing things and it has worked just fine Yea!!! I just had no idea I could do it that way. I thought I had to turn the jpegs into .pat files before I could use them

So, no offense at all. That's why I let folks know at the top of my post that I am a Newbie

Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave such an awesome response!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is this helpful?

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-patterns.html

The PatternMaker plug-in was dropped from CS6 optional plug-ins. Since you're running Win7 64 you might be able to use the CS5 version (I can't recall at the moment if it works). You can see how the plug-in operates in this tutorial from Corey B. to see if it's of interest. (ping back if you are and I can point you where to grab the plug-in)

http://planetphotoshop.com/pattern-maker.html

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello SG:

So, I couldn't respond yesterday due to some technical issues ...

It's late and I don't have the time to check out the links you posted right at the moment but I totally will 2mar'o and I will get back to you.

I'll let you know then ....

thank you for the response

PS ... sorry I have not got back to you yet. life stuff. but you're on my first to do 2mar'o list. thanx again for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines