• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does one scale a path as transform puts scaling box around artwork ?

Contributor ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

CS6

Thought I did this the other day, but tonight with path selected when I go ctrl T I get a scaling box around the artwork on a layer and not the path.

How do I scale the path up to get it to the size of the artwork I wish to marry it to ?

Cheers

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Maybe your "Alt" key is stuck?

EDIT: Goto Menu->Edit->Free Transform Path

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe your "Alt" key is stuck?

EDIT: Goto Menu->Edit->Free Transform Path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

no the alt key is fine.

I go edit>free transform , there is no free transform path option just ctrl T showing, I do so and the artwork instead gets the scaling box.

CS6,

is this free transform path an addition in cc ?

I am sure Ctrl T worked the other day, remember thinking thats useful. The whole advantage of paths is they can be scaled, distorted etc without pixelating. Thing is if a path is 'on', how does photoshop know one wants to scale the path and not the artwork.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the path is active, then the menu item "Free Tranform" turns into "Free Tranform Path".

Why did you mark that the problem has been resolved?
What is your "artwork" layer?

Can you show a screenshot where we can see both the path and your "artwork"?

P.S. I also have CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I came back to the thraed after a walk and saw it said correct answer, so someone did that but it wasnt me.

My path is active, selected it witth the black arrow path selection tool, as opposed to the white one, both live in the same tool 'box'.

Screenshots take ages, using image host thing etc, no time at the mo, dead simple enough to envisage, I have on a new layer formed by copy paste,  a copy pasted rectangle shaped image featuring a spiral I have drawn using brush from another file.

With that layer active, I go paths and click the path called spiral I made. so imagine the image with the spiral path nearby. I need to scale the path up to match the spiral on the image.

I select it with black arrow tool, its now active,

I go free transform, there is no free transform path option, and the rectangular image gets the scaling box.

I cant progress until I scale this path up.

I google youtube scale path photoshop and nobody has done a video on how its done.

Imagine this then, create a new layer in artwork, create a selection ants circle, dump red into it. ctrl D close the ants. open a path layer we have a circle path on, activate it, try scaling it, the red  circle gets the transform, box instead.

What does cs6 edit transform menu look like with the paths circle selected ?

I have drawn that little test, and I get free transform path !

so I examine my real case, the three layers with the artwork are linked, that should not present a problem, however ITS A BUG...if I unlink them, then I get to do the path scaling.

SOLUTION.... unlink layers with artwork on that were selected. then perform the path scaling, then relink them. scale path does not work if the active art layers are linked !

ADOBE HAVE A BUG. guess I am stuck with it as no bug fixes for CS6.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

del ))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

deselect all layer : )

UPD:

My "correct" answer is completely wrong.
I again forgot that I had Ctrl + Alt + T assigned a special transfomation script that transforms regardless of the presence of the selected path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know I'm a bit too late, but for anyone in the future with this problem. I just found out that if you create a new empty layer select that layer and then select the path and press CTRL+T it works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines