• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to add anchor point without making it curve in Photoshop (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I MADE A SHAPE AND THEN I WANT TO EDIT IT. SO I USE THE PEN TOOL (ADD ANCHOR POINT) BUT WHYYYYYY IT ALWAYS TURN INTO A CURVE LINE. HOW DO I MAKE IT STRAIGHT. WHY IS IT SO HARD I JUST WANT A STRAIGHT LINE 

{Title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? From what I understand, you are trying to create a straight line with the pen tool. 

We can do that; check out the video tutorials below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dghywMVCJKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiEXIaW2ew

Also, you can check this article to learn how to make different shapes: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/editing-paths.html.

Let us know if it helps.

Thanks.

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[cursing removed] tutorial 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@akmalana 

I watched most of the tutorial on adding an anchor point and agree with you that it was pathetic. All the same, cursing is not tolerated on these forums and can get you banned.

Your question (I think) is this: when you add an anchor point, why is it a smooth point (with direction lines) and not a corner point (no direction lines).

The short answer is that's how it was programmed decades ago. 

I've wondered the same thing for a very long time because Illustrator does the opposite and makes a corner point when a new anchor point is added.

In Photoshop you can use the Convert Point tool to convert the smooth point to a corner point. Since you are using the Pen tool anyway to add the point, just hold down Alt with the Pen tool and click once more and you'll have your corner point.

You can also make a feature request to the product developers. Choose "Ideas" instead of "Discussions". If they give this to us, they might want to make it a toggle, as folks scream quite loudly when features they've used forever get changed.

If this doesn't answer your question, please clarify.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you this was exactly what I needed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines