• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply a layer style to a group in Photoshop?

Participant ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a collection of shape layers that I'm dividing into four groups, to apply a different layer style to each group.  I've read in the online Photoshop User Guide and in a third-party tutorial that layer styles can be applied to a group.  However, nowhere can I find an explanation for how to do this.    

I tried selecting the name of the group and applying the layer style to it.  But it has no effect on the shape layers below it.  I've applied the same layer style to individual shape layers, and it works fine, so there's nothing wrong with the layer style.

Screenshot 2024-03-10 at 11.32.34 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me.

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 2.00.53 AM.jpg

I do not see anything in the preview of your layer. What did your art look like before you applied the effects? Mine looks like this if I hide he effects

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 2.02.25 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) and the Canvas visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I been filling the shapes with a combination of effects.  There are four combinations, which I’ve named, TEXT(for Texture) A, B, C, and D.

Img. 1 - _TEXTURE A_ pattern, layer style, & clipped color fill layer, applied to shape _Molars_.png

As you can see in the image above, I’ve been filling the shapes individually and putting each shape in a separate group, to keep easier track of them.  Each TEXTURE has consisted of :  a pattern preset applied to the shape, with changes to the pattern angle and scale; an overlying/clipped color fill laye; and a layer style for bevel, emboss, and contour.  

Img. 2 - Brightness adjustment layer added to TEXTURE C..png

TEXTURE C, above,  also requires a Brightness Adjustment Layer, which I’ve been applying as an overlying/clipped layer.  Since adjustments aren’t an effect that can be applied in a layer style, I’ll have to figure out how to apply that separately.

It only occured to me yesterday that I can create and save a layer style which incorporates everything listed in Par. 2 above. And I’m moving the shapes around from TEXTURE to TEXTURE when I see what they look like, so it’s doubley important to figure out how to set up just four groups for the TEXTURES.

To answer your question about nothing appearing in the preview of the shape layers, the shape layers have neither a fill or stroke until I apply the pattern to them.  All you can see of the shapes are the green path outlines (when the paths are selected in the Paths panel.)   The three images below show this.

Img. 3 - Shapes are paths without stroke or fill.png

Img. 4 - Path outlines as they appear on the document.png

Only the green shape pathlines appear in the document, and only when the paths are activated in the Paths panel.

Img. 5 - Shape layers show no contents prior to filling with a TEXTURE.png

No previews in the shape layer thumbnails.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.57.48 PM.png

Img. 6 - My layer style applied to group.png

The image above shows the TEX A layer style I just created,  applied to the group. Unfortunately, nothing is appearing in the document for these layers and there is still no preview in the shape layer thumbnails.

The four images below show my settings in the Layer Styles dialog box. 

Img. 7 - Pattern Overlay.png

Img. 8 - Color Overlay.png

Img. 9 - Bevel & Emboss.png

Img. 10 - Contour.png

Have I not done something in the settings that I should?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mmm . . . messed up on my last images in the post above.  The Pattern Overlay and Color Overlay are included in the Layer Style, as shown in the first two images of the dialog box, and the settings are as shown in the last two images.  I tried editing the post to swap in the correct pics but it wouldn't let me.  I can re-post the series of four if it is confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) and the Canvas visible

Not snippets of the Panels, but complete screenshots. 

To answer your question about nothing appearing in the preview of the shape layers, the shape layers have neither a fill or stroke until I apply the pattern to them.  

Don’t do that, please. 

That a Pattern Overlay on an empty Fill Layer is visible seems to be (something close to) a bug, that applying it to a Group containing empty Layers does not result in a visible Pattern is as it should be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following is step-by-step, so let me say I’m not trying to talk down to anyone whose experience makes mine seem a drop in the bucket!  I am just trying to be as thorough as possible lest I omit some crucial tidbit that could solve the mystery of why my group layer style doesn’t work.  

I don’t know if it’s wrong, but I’ve been working successfully for the past week filling “empty” shape layers on my Mac (Adobe Ps v. 25.5.1 running natively on Apple M1, Mac OS 14.2.1.)  I’ve been drawing my shapes with the Curvature Pen Tool and the Custom Shape Tool, always with Fill and Stroke turned off in the Options Bar.  I’ve been leaving the Path Selection Tool selected.  You can also see from the screenshot that:

• Fleur-d-Lisle Shape Path is active in the Paths panel and Layers panel;
  • The green outline of the shape paths therefore appears in the document;
  • The shape layer thumbnail is empty.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.16.53 PM.png

My very next step is to fill the selected Fleur-d-lisle Shapes with a pattern.  I could do this from the Fill drop-down box in the Options Bar, but I prefer to use the Patterns panel.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.26.09 PM.png

The fill command was executed by clicking once on my chosen pattern.  The pattern now appears in the Fill field in the Options Bar.   It’s very faint, but I can just make out the two tiny shapes in the shape layer thumbnail.  And, of course, the filled shapes show in the document.  (When I deactivate the Shape Path in the Paths panel, the green path outlines will disappear from around the shapes.)

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.28.01 PM.png

To prove to myself that the Layer Styles dialog box is working normally,  here I accomplished the same effect on the next Shape Layer down, using Pattern Overlay from the Layer Styles dialog box. 

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 12.49.33 PM.png

So that brings me to what is NOT working—using a layer style applied to a group to execute the same pattern fill, as well as to give color to the black and white pattern and give the shapesa bevel and emboss.  I selected the group, opened the Styles panel, and clicked on the layer style I had created, at the bottom of the list.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 1.40.14 PM.png

No fills.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 1.58.01 PM.png

Here is the Layer Styles dialog box showing the effects used.  My screenshot doesn't pick up the box when it's on top of the Photoshop interface, so I had to screenshot it separately.

Screenshot 2024-03-12 at 1.48.22 PM.png

Please let me know if I can reload the correct screenshots for each of the Layer Styles effects, so you can see the settings I chose.

Thanks for bearing with me so I can learn to use this important work routine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A Shape Layer with no Fill and no Stroke is one thing. 

A Group that contains no pixel content is another. 

Layer Styles applied to a Layer/Group with no pixel content obviously don’t result in a changed appearance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines