• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change default bit depth

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A while back I was messing with some settings in photoshop and must have accidently done something wrong.  Whenever I create a new file it automatically creates it in 16 bit depth, and I never think about it until I either go to use filter gallery or transfer my sketches to illustrator to refine and I cannot import it as layers. (figured this one out the hard way lol)  

For the life of me I cannot figure out where the setting is to change the default back to 8 bit, where can I change that?  Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

In File > New

2020-03-07_15-51-43.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change it in RAW?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I am NOT sure - I did open the "camera raw" setting under edit >preference> camera raw but didnt see a setting there unless I missed something. (and I may have)  I did this quite a while ago and honestly forget exactly where I changed it at,  I usually end up manually changing it back when i am in photoshop and remember it (like filter gallery not working) or reopen and save the file properly when trying to import layers to photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In File > New

2020-03-07_15-51-43.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was IT! I have several Saved presets that are my go to and i never use what ADOBE has listed, all my presets somehow had 16 bit to them! THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

This works great if you want to change it every time you create a new file, but something has changed recently that defaults mine to 8bit. I have to change my screenshots to at least 16 or the artwork will not show in the canvas, but you can see it clearly in the layer view.

There's no place to set this to 16 bit by default so you don't have to set this every time? I've been doing screenshots for UI development for years by screensgrabs, copying and pasting into PS and manipulating there.

I looked through all the settings and can't find something obvious here to set this to 16-bit by default.

Here's an example of the canvas vs layer view in 8-bit mode. Switching it to 16-bit fixes it.

Submerce_0-1650557211387.png

After

Submerce_1-1650557260054.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things

The New Layer settings should be sticky so you can use the previous settings and amend the size for the next.

The problem you show with 8 bit docs not displaying correctly, on some systems, should be resolved in v23.3.1 released today.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good to hear this display issue will be fixed today, but this is NOT saving it as a preference for a new file. I just set it to 16-bit pasted a file, then CTRL-N and it was 8-bit again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines