• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to change print image size of drawing in Photoshop

Contributor ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a beginner trying to learn to paint traditionally, using PS to assist me. I traced an outline of a still life(see below) but it prints only 4 inches high. I only want to increase the size of the outline, not the background also.

This is to help me with measurement, getting the proportions correct. How can I change just the outline to, say 8 inches in height? Do I free transform it....then what? I have the original snapshot of the angel statue, then the outline. The photo in the middle was an error, but I don't know how to delete it. Thanks in advance for all help/input.

I appreciate any input, and thank you in advance.ANGEL W CHILDREN COLOR.jpegPRACTICE SKETCH.jpegOUTLINE OF ANGEL.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Here's a visual aide: You see Resample unchecked and that means you can change the size on paper without changing the pixels and you can choose the print size in whatever units you want. Click OK when done and Print.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 12.13.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you want to just print your image at a larger size? If so, you could just change the image size settings.

From the Image menu, choose Image Size...

Uncheck the Resample checkbox.

Change the Height to Inches and adjust the number to what you want. The default locks the proportions so width will change when you change height.

Then click OK.

The above won't change the file size just the resolution. With Resample on, you can change the pixel dimensions of your image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to change the print size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me try to guess what exactly you want. So, you have outline on a separate layer, right? Transform outline from the center with constrained proportions.

Easy way:

• Select layer with outline
  • Press Ctrl/Cmd + T
  • Hold down Shift and Alt/Opt and navigate mouse over corner handle, click and drag.
  • Confirm on Enter/Return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to change the print size is to follow what Dean Utian​ wrote. The print size of a file is controlled with the Image Size setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a visual aide: You see Resample unchecked and that means you can change the size on paper without changing the pixels and you can choose the print size in whatever units you want. Click OK when done and Print.

Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 12.13.52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gener7

Thanks for posting a screenshot. It is something I typically do but didn't this time as had to run off somewhere.

Keep up the good support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the visual.....do you know how I can change the black outline to blue? Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To change the outline to blue, my suggestion is:

1. Select - Image > Mode > Grayscale. This makes the image 8 bit (256 colours) of grays - between black and white.
  2. Discard colour information.
  3. Image > Mode > Duotone.
  4. Click on the colour chip and then pick the blue in the Color Picker as below.
  5. Click OK in each window.

OUTLINE+OF+ANGEL2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks so much! What does "resampling" do that it has to be unchecked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quoting Photoshop for dummies
"Resampling means you're changing the pixel dimensions of an image. When you downsample, you're eliminating pixels and therefore deleting information and detail from your image. When you upsample, you're adding pixels. Photoshop adds these pixels by using interpolation."

How to Resample Images in Photoshop CS6 - dummies

See the link for different types of interpolation. This just means different ways Photoshop is guessing the pixels that are added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Presumably you have the original photo and the outline on separate layers?  If so, the easiest way is just to go to Image>Image Size and put in the size that you need. This will transform both the image layer and the outline layer - but you can switch off visibility of the image layer before printing.  The advantag eis that both the image and the outline will stay in size so if you wanted to add any other lines by tracing - it would be easy. Use Save As when you are done and give it a new name  so that the original image is unaltered and the artwork document is saved separately.

You can change the size of just the drawing layer by going into Image>Canvas Size and extending the canvas then using Transform>Scale on the drawing layer - but that would put your image and the drawing out of step with each other making it difficult to trace any additional lines if required.

A final alternative, given that these are just guidelines, is to scale in the print dialogue when you come to print.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines