Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert CMYK Black to 100 Black

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

there is a way to convert this cmyk black background to only 100 black?

Thank you for help

Schermata 2022-04-21 alle 10.06.11.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

I am reluctant to post this without knowing the project details, however, as you just wish to change the background and the foreground and transition from background to hero image does not appear to be a concern... Here is an annotated screenshot of one possible method:

KonlyBG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2022 Apr 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you right, but when I have to obatin a rich black only using cmyk, I must add nearly a 40% of cyan in balck colour. Instead, using this rich black pantone, I can avoid this step.

As you said, using a different black can cause some inconsistency with our characterisation process, but visually, you can't nearly tell the difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The languange translation and terminology is confusing. I asked about this earlier in the topic. Rich black is generally meaning K + one or more supporting inks to build density over and above black only, but not as a standard CMYK build. I thought that you were adding spot colours under the black, but all you meant was that you are using a more dense black ink instead of a standard process black ink and or the press operator may be laying down a thicker film of ink for this special black (higher density).

Wouldn't this require lightening of the K in the rest of the image that has been separated using a standard black ink profile such as Fogra39, as otherwise, it would be too muddy with a different K ink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Wouldn't this require lightening of the K in the rest of the image that has been separated using a standard black ink profile such as Fogra39, as otherwise, it would be too muddy with a different K ink?"

Right, Stephen

Not only that, [and this is all theory from me - without doing tests], BUT how about the 'colour' that black imparts into the areas where GCR is used- A different "colour" of black will mean different ink mixes are required to attain the desired printed result. Especially in areas or image grey (printer 4C) I can see profile patches, some spectro time and a decent profile then, maybe, a colour server being needed, ideally.

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Neil, process inks are transparent and act as filters for reflected light from the substrate. Special colour/spot/Pantone etc may or may not have similar transparency or opacity and the ink trap of two or more inks overprinted may be very different from the original profile separation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah "simply" replacing the black with a "custom" open may not be a simple matter at all.

Seems like we may have lost the OP now as they seem to have stopped interacting.

I guess Pantone would like users to think that their "improved" black is plug-and-play but I fear it's not at all like that. New press characterisation seems inevitable (after tests of course). Maybe new plate curves too, to allow for the potentially higher black density, as you mentioned.

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines