Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create small size PDF in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI mates

I am creating wallpapers in Photoshop CS6 of size 127cmX300cm at 300 resolution. When I save it as a PDF it size is about 1 GB. And this is too big for my clients. How can I reduce the pdf file size without loosing image quality?

My clients doesn't want to change resolution or size.

Thanks for the comments (in advance)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's mutually exclusive. You can't have perfect quality and hope it will fit into a PDF you can send via mail. Some resampling has to happen somewhere.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2015 Jun 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving from Photoshop as PDF you can reduce file size by unchecking Layers.

layers.png

Another thing that you can do is to use compression in Save Adobe PDF dialog > Compression tab. Compression is clever algorithm which reduces file size and degrades slightly image quality but not necessary that much that it is critical and many times you won't be able to see any difference.

compression.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help. But I always Uncheck layers and uncheck "preserve Photoshop editing capabilities" too.

Still its too big ... My client want it smaller without losing quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you're positive that a resolution of 300 ppi is really required for this? That's a 35000-pixel wide file. There's no way that can ever get "small". In fact I'm surprised you get as low as 1GB.

Normally, 300 ppi is for books and magazines, held right in front of your nose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes  We need it in 300 dpi and I was wrong about size of files.... I get 2 to 2.5GB file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does it have to be a PDF? Maybe you can get a smaller file by flattening it, then saving the file as a tiff with LZW compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

It worked... it reduced file disk space by 50% and quality is same as PDF file.  Hope my client accept TIFF insted of PDF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is a very good chance that they will be fine with the tiff. It sounds like you were rasterizing all of the content of your original design anyway with your PDF settings. A need to retain vector content would be the only reason I could see for using PDF over TIFF to begin with. Let us know what your printer tells you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines