Apr 28, 2019 Apr 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

looking for some help on how to create tarot card deck

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically do you need help with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specifically do you need help with?

A good question indeed.

But if one considers a card deck as essentially a multi-page document that utilises certain elements both on multiple pages and more than once on individual pages I wonder if Indesign or Illustrator might not provide a better approach in some regards.

If the design is such that Photoshop is indispensable in realising it I expect Linked Smart Objects would be hugely useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tarot-card-free.jpg?w=507

Some think like this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The frame and the text could be handled in Photoshop but they might be easier to do in Indesign (or Illustrator), especially if you still want to experiment with Type Styles and frames.

Painting the illustrations in Photoshop is certainly an option but the ones you posted look like they feature black linework and relatively flat coloring. That might also be done in as vectors Illustrator with the benefit of »better« scalability and the advantages vector output can provide in printing.

The cards you posted have a white edge, so they would at least not need the bleed Stephen_A_Marsh pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wherever the art is created (ideally Illustrator and or InDesign and or potentially Photoshop) – don't forget to incorporate bleed into the design if the design has colour or content to the edges!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I am afraid I had misread »Tarot« as »Tarock« (Tarock – Wikipedia ).

In Tarot-cards repeating elements may be a less relevant factor, so Smart Objects may proof not to be that essential for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wikipedia  says there are four suites of 14 cards (56) and they vary by region, so which set do you need help with?  

I'm thinking that the new(ish) Frame tool would be useful for a repetitive job like this. One thing they do all  have in common is The Fool. 

So  copying the Fool card from Google into Photoshop and  using Canvas Size I can see that

the current  image size is 473 X 825

If I want a grid of 7 X 8  cards then I use the  multiplier as in the Height field below. The width did the math after I tabbed out of that field.

I can then use View > New Guide Layout to create the grid

Use the Frame tool and drag out to the top left cell.

Place the common artwork (i.e. the border) into the frame, and copy for all cells.

You'll absolutely need to be specific for more help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll find these templates are an excellent start:

https://www.ivory.co.uk/templates/Tarot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can buy a stock of ready made images specifically for tarot card deck creation. And add more vibe, mood, or light on it to customize it, make it uniquely yours, stocks like on this site: https://payhip.com/b/hQ7im

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines