• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to created a simple outline from photo

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I am looking to turn photos into a simple outline so I can then pass this image over to my wife who can embroider onto garments. 

Please can anyone help in how to do this? I have tried filters and the results are too detailed. 

I have CC and mainly use PS, but I have access to Ai if its easier (though I dont use this tool)

Cheers, 

Nathan

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator would seem advantageous but you can also use the Pen Tool in Photoshop to trace the image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will require actual tracing either in PS using path tools or in Illustrator with the help of image trace. In either case you face quite some manual work since the photo you showed has a lot of "noise" where all those semi-smart automated functions will either produce too many details or none at all.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will require actual tracing either in PS using path tools or in Illustrator with the help of image trace. In either case you face quite some manual work since the photo you showed has a lot of "noise" where all those semi-smart automated functions will either produce too many details or none at all.

And in any case the decision which details to line and to what level of detail seems like an aesthetic one, so an »automatic« approach may or may not produce a result in line with one’s aesthetic preferences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats exactly the issue. Too much detail for an automated approach. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another way of coming at it might be to use the Object Selection Tool.  It is very good at picking out one object from a group, whether by clicking on, or dragging a box around it.  Stroke each selection on a new layer.  Note that I have the strokes layer filled with white and set to Multiply.  That's to help clean up any fuzzy selections which you can do with a Levels or Curves adjustment.

image.png

As others have said, stroking a workpath is like a secret weapong for those of us who not great artists, and not super skilled in laying down brush strokes.  It iss super easy to lay a workpath and hit the Stroke Path icon at the bottom of the Paths panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines