• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to cut /trim a photo at any angle?

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have three antique quilts and I want to composite into one view showing a 120 degree section of each quilt radiating from the center.  Can anyone suggeset a work flow?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

120 deg.jpg

In the above image. I loaded all 3 images into one file.

Then I made guides at the center of the document.

Then I used the shape tool to draw a triangle centered over the entire canvas - too big, so you can't see it.

Then I snapped guide lines to the boundry of the triangle. This gave me the points for the 120 deg. angles.

In the topmost layer I used the pen tool to draw a path, as you can see in the above screen shot. which I made a vector layer mask by having it selected the clicking on the mask icon in the layer's panel, while holding ctrl/cmd.

I then held alt/opt, and dragged that layer mask to the layer below to copy it.

I then edited the vector shape to create the next 120 deg mask, as you can see by the shape of the mask thumbnail.

By doing these two layer mask, I didn't need to create one for the last layer. The layer masks overlap themselves, so there should be no white edges.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great solution Chuck!

I would have created an image in Illustrator with the same pixel dimensions, then set the Construction Guides to 120° and drawn the paths. I would then copy and paste the perfect 120° angled paths back in PS and use them to select and mask.

Everytime I do this I wish PS had this ability!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are a lot of things I wish PS had, which IA does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines