• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to delete Photoshop cache or temporary files

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete Photoshop cache or temporary files? Photoshop is filling up my C drive. I've changes the cache folder to another drive but I have to deal with the issue now before the other drive is filled up too.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

It's in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp. To access that, you can type %LocalAppData%\Temp in the Start > Run field.

Look for "Photoshop Temp" file list.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 02, 2013 Sep 02, 2013

Well, I can help you on the Bridge Cache.

In Bridge: Edit > Preferences > Cache > Purge Cache should do the trick.

As for the other programs, you must visit their respective forums and ask for help there. Be sure to specify your OS version and program version, it will get an answer much faster since there are Macs as well as Windows based PCs running Adobe products.

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same problem!

I have used my Drive D as scatch disk. and now it's full. there are even no files saved (seen) in my Drive D. I have tried to delete the temp files are suggested here but there seems no changes at all.

Is it safe to format the D partition? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the disk is full, you need to clear out space. It's as simple as that. Or get a new and bigger drive.

Scratch disk has nothing to do with your saved files. Raster image editing moves massive amounts of data while you're working, much more than any RAM you may have installed, and it needs to go somewhere. So it's written to disk. This temporary working data is the scratch disk. If there is no space for Photoshop's scratch files, it can't operate or even open.

All history states for all open documents are written to the scratch file, so it will vastly exceed the nominal file sizes for the images you have open.

For casuual work on smallish files you may get away with, say, 50 GB free space. For more serious work, you'll need 500 GB or more.

Partitioning serves no purpose and is usually counter-productive. It's not recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Im having the same problem!

I have used my Drive D as scatch disk. and now it's full. there are even no files saved (seen) in my Drive D. I have tried to delete the temp files are suggested here but there seems no changes at all.

Is it safe to format the D partition? 

By @Ligaya26556598ha6s

IF indeed, there aren't supposed to be any files on this drive, sure, you can reformat it. That may not 'fix' the issue where you may indeed need a much bigger and empty scratch disk as explained. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines