• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Free Transform a selection without the pixels separating from rest of photo?

Participant ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to distort the 2 lower corners of a doorway inward, but leave the rest of the photo intact.
To do this I made a selection aroud the door, then went to edit > free transform > distort.  
When I drag the 2 lower corners inward the pixels separate from the rest of the image, where as i want them to stretch from the rest of the image. How do I do this?

Check out the atachments, you will know what I mean.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

You are working on just the one layer, and that's not how Photoshop works.  Slect the door and copy it to a new layer.  Make it a Smart Object, and then Free Transform it to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggested a different technique. If you use Filter > Camera Raw Filter and then use the Upright tools under the Geometry tab, it will warp you image automatically to straighten out the lines of the door and the rest of the scene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will look this up.  I don't want all the lines straightened though.  I am actually trying to change the perspective of just the door. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are working on just the one layer, and that's not how Photoshop works.  Slect the door and copy it to a new layer.  Make it a Smart Object, and then Free Transform it to fit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here to say this/ It's important to copy>paste your selection, leaving the original intact underneath to blend it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did attempt to do it on another layer but I didn't make it a smart object.  I will look that up! Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines