• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get a radial/wavy/zig zag (or any patterned) halftone(circles) portrait like in the images below?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

morning-coffee-519.jpgdownload.jpgimages.jpgptsp6765.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

halftoneScreenPatternLayersMonroe2Scr.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a neutral image a neutral soft Pattern set to Blend Mode Hard Mix can be used to emulate a halftone screen.

To a certain extent it comes down to whether (and how and in which application) one can create the Pattern one wants.

halftoneScreenPatternLayersMonroe2Scr2.jpg

Edit: Maybe also see

HALFTONE OR WHAT?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes this is somewhat I have been looking for. Didn't know it was this simple. But can you break it down step by step how you did it? Thanks:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• In this case I used Illustrator to create two dotted circles.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 08.22.34.png

• Then I used Object > Blend > Make and Object > Blend > Blend Options to create the circles in-between.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 08.23.23.png

• I copy/pasted that into Photoshop as a Smart Object in a Group set to the Blend Mode Hard Mix that also contained a white Solid Colour Layer.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 08.24.01.png

• As you can see the result is not good, because the dots are still sharp, with a Gaussian Blur on the Smart Object the effect changes considerably.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 08.24.33.png

• And here a screenshot of what the pattern looks like when it is not interacting with the underlying image, the pattern should be pretty »soft«. But with a little experimentation you should figure out how Hard Mix works anyway.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 08.24.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks:) how did you get the wavy one with the displacement?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a Pattern like this

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 09.18.57.png

then a Pattern Layer which I converted to a Smart Object and applied Displace with the Displacement Map seen to the left in the original screenshot.

As you may notice with your images the original may need a bit of blurring (as a Smart Filter preferably), too, and not just the Pattern.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 09.19.37.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 09.19.47.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’re welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is there any way by which I can get perfect circles or squares like smaller circles for lighter shades and bigger circles for darker shades in patterns?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines