• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get resized images on a 4x6 canvas

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello: I am trying to resize photos to go in "first 12 months" photo frame. The openings are 1.5w x 2h inches. I cropped my image to 1.5x2, then i resized it the same. I tried creating a new file using a canvas size of like 8x10, then I was brought in the first image, the problem is the image took up the entire canvas. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Can anyone help? My goal is to have the lap print 4x6 prints with 2 of the 1.5x2 images on them, then cut them out to fit the frame. Thanks for any suggestions. I have tired several of the youtube tutorials, but nothing has worked so far.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then I was brought in the first image, the problem is the image took up the entire canvas. 

By @cdtcpa

Did you use File > Place or drag-n-drop into Photoshop? If so you might have created a smart object layer which is sized by resolution and the PPI of both images are likely different.

Otherwise, use copy and paste to retain pixel size regardless of PPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2024 Aug 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for answering.   The resolutions are different.  I will see what happens this weekend when they are changed to match. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can uncheck "resample image" in Image > Image Size, that way only the physical print size changes and no pixels are added or removed when you adjust the resolution PPI value.

Or you can open both images and copy/paste to get pixel sizing.

Or if you do place and the resolutions are different, you can always go to the Properties panel and press the "Reset transformations" button on the smart object layer to return it to natural pixel sizing without adding/removing pixels.

Then size to the required size if your template is at the correct size and resolution for print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the problem is the image took up the entire canvas."

To resolve this, scale the image down. If you are placing it using File > Place and the image is larger than the canvas, it will automatically be scaled down to fit within the canvas bounds. However, if you have a smaller image with a mismatched resolution, Photoshop may silently increase the resolution in the background, which can lead to upscaling without any prompts. Therefore, after placing image or confirming their placement, double-click the Smart Object layer to edit the content and navigate to Image > Image Size. Turn off Resample, then adjust the resolution to match that of the parent document. Confirm and save to return to the parent document. Transform the Smart Object layer to the dimensions you need.

Additionally, you can change the resolution of the files you are placing to match the document resolution or, as previously mentioned, open the files you are placing and then copy and paste them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response.  The resolutions are different on the 2 resized images.  If i turn on resampling to make one match the other, it changes my image size.  I was worried it will effect the quality of the print.  The lower resolution of the images is 633.  I know that is higher than the recommended 300, but since they are so small, didn't know if it would be ok. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines