• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make artboard bg layer transparent?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before Artboards were introduced, we would create a new file and the background, if chosen to be transparent, was by default a light gray and white square grid.

Is there a way to do this for artboards? Currently, the background is white by default - although there isn't a fill on the layer. When I apply a style to Layer 1 (default created layer when creating the artboard) , lets use color overlay for example, unless Layer 1 is filled with a color, it doesn't show the style applied. This causes confusion for me a times when exporting to PNG as well - I think the background is filled with white, and it's transparent.

I'd like to go back to the days of old when I could see the square grid indicating the most background layer doesn't have a fill. Has anyone figured out a way to do this? I searched the settings, and unless my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, I can't seem to find where to change it.

Thanks for your help,

Suzy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Artboards do not support Transparency as of now.So this cannot be achieved

Please request for a feature here  Photoshop Family Customer Community

Similar thread:- Re: Artboard layer transparency bug?

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Hi, I was looking a way to make the artboards background transparent, which I knew I had seen somewhere before, but can never remember...

I found it again here.
So if you select the artboard and go to its Properties (Window menu to turn Properties visible), you can set the Artboard Background Color to transparent.

Works for me, and I see it transparent in the layers thumb too. And I generate PNGs from it and they are transparent.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning Akash,

Thank you for the links - I've already read through these and the color where the artboards lay is not my issue. I can change that without a problem I'm referring to the color INSIDE my artboard. The layer looks to be filled with white although it doesn't really have a fill. If i t doesn't have a fill, it should render the gray and white square grid.

I know its hard to understand - it's even harder for me to explain lol

Maybe this screenshot will help:-

500x260_psd___100___Layer_1__RGB_8____.png

Compared to: (this is what I'm trying to achieve)

Screenshot_1_13_16__8_47_AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you post a screenshot?

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards do not support Transparency as of now.So this cannot be achieved

Please request for a feature here  Photoshop Family Customer Community

Similar thread:- Re: Artboard layer transparency bug?

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Glad it wasn't me overlooking a preference some where

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2016 Jan 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I developed a work around to the unsupported transparency in the Photoshop "Artboards"

I created a checkerboard pattern to simulate the transparency and keep it on the bottom most layer.

You can Define your own pattern or import the pattern I created (under Edit > Fill > click on gear to load pattern.

I have a sample file here with a pattern to import and a Transparency Grid.psd if needed : http://adobe.ly/1OkF0wG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maurice, this is a PERFECT workaround, thank you so much! I can live with this workaround until they make the transparency evident.

Thanks again!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I copy merged layers the background to the artboard is copied. I can't copy a selection of layers with transparency if I'm using artboards. This makes no sense so has to be a bug - but where's the fix?

Your pseudo transparency checkerboard might help you edit the transparency but this bug sucks from a workflow point of view.

Get it together Adobe! Affinity have artboards done right consistently across Photo and Designer and they don't charge crazy subscription prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I was looking a way to make the artboards background transparent, which I knew I had seen somewhere before, but can never remember...

I found it again here.
So if you select the artboard and go to its Properties (Window menu to turn Properties visible), you can set the Artboard Background Color to transparent.

Works for me, and I see it transparent in the layers thumb too. And I generate PNGs from it and they are transparent.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! After near an hour looking for the solution.. thanks again! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you and here's a Socailly Distanced Hug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines