• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to mimic the effect of "progressive lens" distortion?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a project requiring a lens from a pair of progressive glasses to sit over background text, and distort that text appropriately.

It's a fairly complex kind of distortion, and I can't figure out how to accomplish it in Photoshop.

Looking for methodology or technique suggestions.

TOPICS
Experiment

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Is this the kind of distortion you need, a spatial distortion? If so, the way this was done was to select the type layer and choose Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object, then choose Edit > Transform > Warp. Then in the options bar at the top, make sure Warp is set to Custom, and that will get you this custom warp grid that you can bend freely by dragging the warp grid intersections and handles.

This is only for the spatial distortion. To simulate uneven blur, follow the advice alrea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.35.31.pngScreenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.35.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post example?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the best example I could locate:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The distortion one might be able to handle with the Filter Displace and an appropriate Displacement Map, the Blur with Field Blur. 

But as @Bojan Živković already indicated you have not made clear what the actual distortion would be yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – those suggestions sound promising, though I'll have to research how to use them!

I'm not actually looking for the blur effect, it's the distortion I'm after.

I've attached the best example I could find, it's not been easy to locate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the kind of distortion you need, a spatial distortion? If so, the way this was done was to select the type layer and choose Layer > Smart Objects > Convert to Smart Object, then choose Edit > Transform > Warp. Then in the options bar at the top, make sure Warp is set to Custom, and that will get you this custom warp grid that you can bend freely by dragging the warp grid intersections and handles.

This is only for the spatial distortion. To simulate uneven blur, follow the advice already given about the various customizable blur filters.

Photoshop-distort-progressive-lens.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, interesting – I think that will work, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little more background: Converting the text layer to a Smart Object was necessary to be able to get to the Custom warp option, if none of the canned warp options is good enough. If you need to edit the text later you still can, if you double-click the Smart Object in the Layers panel to open that up, edit the text, save, and then switch back to this document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.35.31.pngScreenshot 2023-05-12 at 17.35.41.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks to be the right solution – but what did you actually use as the displacement map?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I painted it. 

The Red Channel for horizontal, the Green Channel for vertical. 

Screenshot 2023-05-13 at 11.43.36.png

But Warp may produce better results (especially for large images).

For a couple of versions Warp has allowed adding additional grid-lines manually; unfortunately the feature has not been implemented in a truly sensible fashion in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines