• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Open an AVIF File in Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden images i use to drag from a browser to the desktop are no longer .jpg, rather they are .avif files and i can not get Photoshop to open them. Is this something Adobe is aware of and will they fix this in the next upgrade? Since its now an industry standard, Photoshop is behind the times...

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer I gave is true and refers to opening webp - which was being discussed when I gave that answer

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it was not about WEBp. Heck the thread is called how do I open a .avid
file in photoshop. Look again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it was not about WEBp. Heck the thread is called how do I open a .avidfile in photoshop. Look again.

By @jessew58662289

Hi Jesse,

Dave was answering a secondary question from the OP, not the main question. Read the thread again.

You can migrate avid files to Premiere Pro, not Photoshop. See these pages from Adobe and Avid for details:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/premiere-pro/how-to/migrate-from-avid-media-composer.html

https://cdn-www.avid.com/-/media/avid/files/products-pdf/mediacentral/adobe-integration-ds-a4.pdf

If that was a typo and you meant to type .avif, those files require a third party plug-in or converter, as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jessew58662289 read the discussion immediately above my response (use threaded view which will show which comments were being responded to). It was about webp.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When can we expect support for exporting to the AVIF image format?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 31, 2020 Aug 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't expect, request.

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVIF support can be added via plug-in. It is not difficult to create such plug-ins (I created plug-ins for GIMP and Qt-based applications, contributed to gdk-pixbuf AVIF plug-in too).

Adobe provide SDK for developing plug-ins.

The biggest problem is the license for the newest Photoshop which I don't have.

AVIF needs lot of memory to encode, especially for large images. It is better to create 64bit version of the plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://github.com/0xC0000054/avif-format

Also supposed to be supported in illustrator but does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works in Illustrator indeed now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop what you're doing and "go fish"

Two years later and still can't open an avif file directly in Photoshop. However we can "Generate new landscapes in one click with neural filters"

After finding and installing a plug-in I learn Illustrator will open these files. Maybe "avif" files should appear as an Illustrator file with a thumbnail in bridge. I mean, who doesn't start their photo work in Illustrator ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AVIF HDR (PQ) works in Photoshop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can open Avif on MacOs via open with, then chose photoshop under others, the camera raw dialogue will open and give you its settings, then after "post" is " done" you can open it, but that is where it ends without third party plugin support, if you want to save it, you can save it in the usual formats, but not in avif, export is the same, without plugin export is possible but not to avif, hopefully this will get inhouse support soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines