• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove distracting parts of your image with the Remove tool: 🔎 Photoshop Quick Tip

Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2QUICK TIPS format header.jpg

How to use the Photoshop Remove Tool

Did you know you can use the Photoshop Remove Tool to intelligently remove unwanted or distracting parts of your image and replace them with realistic and relevant content simply by brushing over them? This feature, released in Photoshop 24.5, removes unwanted objects, even in complex and varied backgrounds, and then automatically fills in the area appropriately. This feature does an amazing job removing larger items while respecting boundaries between objects.

RemoveTool_Hero-Vollyball pics.jpg

Select the Remove Tool from the Healing brush tool group

You may see a dialog about required components installing automatically when using the tool for the first time.

ps-revised-remove-tool-icon.png.img.png

Set the options

• Use the Size field in the options bar to choose your brush size. Set the brush size slightly larger than the area you want to fix if you want to cover the entire area with one stroke.

ps-remove-tool-brush-size-revised.png.img.png

• Select the Pressure for Size button if you want to change brush size with pressure.
  • Turn on Sample All Layers in the options bar if you want to sample data from all visible layers. 
  • If you are removing a large or complicated area, you may want to make multiple brush strokes before applying the fill. To allow this, turn off the option Remove after each stroke. Keep Remove after each stroke on if you want to apply the fill each time you make a single stroke.
  • Brush hardness and opacity settings are not used by this tool.

Create a new layer for non-destructive work (optional)

If you do not want to alter the original layer, you can work non-destructively by creating and selecting a new layer and then turning on Sample All Layers. The new pixels created by the Remove tool will be put on the new selected layer.

Brush the area you want to remove

Brush over any area you want to remove. If Remove after each stroke is off, you'll need to hit Apply in the options bar to make the magic happen.

To learn about hardware requirements and known issues, visit: Retouch with the Remove Tool

If you want to learn more about Photoshop in little bite-sized chunks, visit our Photoshop Quick Tips home page. It's loaded with tips, features, and projects you can try,

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The remove tool will not work as it gives me a massage that I need MAc Os 12 or higher to us the tool. I'm running v 11.7.7?

How do I access the Remove Toll? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mimimum system requirement for macOs will be macOS Big Sur (version 11)
Installation is blocked on v10.15.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're receiving a message stating that you need macOS 12 or higher to use the remove tool, and you're currently running macOS version 11.7.7, it means that the remove tool you're trying to use has specific compatibility requirements with macOS versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine was working great until I updated my Graphics card and now it does nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im Confused - I've just stumbled upon this chat and checked my own version and i dont have it!? I'm working with version 24.6? Does anyone know how to download this or add to my toolbar? TIA 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat as well. I too have version 24.6 and don't have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I am using PS 24.6 and my Spot Healing Tool does not have any options for any other tool(s).  I'm intereste in this New REMOVAL TOOL.Any suggestions on how to get this? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you don't see the Remove Tool, check that you have the recommended hardware for the Remove Tool.  The other thing to check is if the tool is configured to the tool group. Go to Edit > Toolbar from the main menu. If you see the Remove Tool is listed under Extra Tools instead of in the tool group with the healing brush, you can click and drag it to the group.

This is how it looks when the tool is not on the toolbar:

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.20.42 PM.png

This is how it looks after dragging the tool to the tool group:

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 12.20.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines