• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove horizontal banding caused by LED lighting

Participant ,
Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does anybody knows how to remove horizontal banding caused by LED lighting when we shooted using silent mode with mirrorless cameras ?

does you know a method using Photoshop to do this? Or a photoshop or lightroom plug-in that works for this problem?

this is an example of the problem:

83A8A0D8-E616-491A-98EF-A2C59FDF9D6E.jpeg

Picture was taken with a Sony A6300 digital camera.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 27, 2018 Jun 27, 2018

I was not aware of this affect.  Do you know what causes it?  Is some sort of artefact that happens with Mirrorless cameras and LED lighting panels?

It's not going to be an easy fix.  I tried using curves, but it was tricking getting the layer mask to align with the darker areas.

The best I could come up with was slow and careful use of the Dodge and Burn tools.  Set the strength really low (10%) and use a fully soft brush set to Midtones, and about the size of the dark bands.  Then slow brush ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Tim Grey's newsletter today:  In addition to using the mechanical shutter rather than the electronic shutter when photographing a moving subject, you may want to use the mechanical shutter when photographing under artificial light to avoid potential banding in the photo.

So this does look like a camera issue related to the use of the electronic shutter.  Switching to mechanical shutter might not always be an option, but it might be a possible solution in some situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some cameras have flicker reduction built in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this happen to me during a poorly lit wedding ceremony with my Nikon Z mirrorless which I use for it's silent shutter and my prime lens large aperture.  With all these things working for me, using a 1/200 shutter speed at ISO 1600 I got the same banding result as shown.  I'm afraid that I may also have to spend an eternity fixing these.  I couldn't even have used my own light source to fix this problem beforehand as it would have been in the way of a very cramped venue.  Would love to see all the responses on this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2023 Dec 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no easy fix for this. You need to test shutter speeds in advance, prior to the event, and find a safe range outside of the LED flickering.

Or use the mechanical shutter whenever possible. On my Sonys I have the silent shutter on a very easily accessible programmable button, so that I can switch very quickly, without even taking my eye off the viewfinder. This way I can sneak in the mechanical shutter whenever the sound level allows.

Fixing this after the fact is doable, but very time-consuming. This is something an AI-algorithm could be really useful for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines