• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to remove reflection from a glass picture frame?

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image.png

I shot this in a rest room at a San Francisco restaurant with my i-Phone.  I like the image very much and want to edit it a little in PS.  Could someone teach me how to remove the reflection from the glass of the picture frame?  Many thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

You can't just "peel off" a reflection - it's an integral part of the image you have. You need to dig in your heels and do it manually. Yes, it's doable, but it can take an incredible amount of time.

Which is why, in my job as an art museum photographer, a large part of my work consists of killing reflections before they hit the camera sensor. For that I use things like cross-polarized lighting setups as well as careful modeling of light sources and directions.

The best way to deal with it IMO is

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'v never helped anyone trying to stole somebody else artwork (in any forms). How old are you ? I hope you understand that there are copyrights law.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's always a consideration, but private use is allowed. Distribution is not allowed.

Copyright laws vary by country, but are generally quite complicated, mainly intended to protect commercial interests and privacy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I probably forgot to mention that I intended to edit it just for my own viewing pleasure.

If you know how to acquire a clean and legal copy of this image (I have no idea whose work this is), I'd be more than happy to pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using an image for "your own viewing pleasure" does not exclude you from copyright law, which is broadly the same throughout the world, (apart from those countries who do not uphold intellectual property rights).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's true, my point was that this isn't a simple black or white. When you start getting into copyright law, the first major surprise is how much is based on common sense and interpretation of circumstances. "Reasonable" is a frequent term.

Private use is allowed, documentation/research is allowed, "newsworthy" coverage is allowed (there are whole chapters devoted to that). What is clearly not allowed is anything that impacts commercial interests, or what is called "ideal rights" as author of the work (a complex subject in itself).

Most of this is covered in the Bern convention, which most European legislation complies with. But the US is a somewhat special case.

I'm not saying anything goes. My own work is published around the world, and I frequently see my own images even without proper photo credit. So I'm fully aware of the reality here.

But let's not panic and go to the trenches every time someone has copied an image. It's not as simple as that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I am somewhat amused.

You go to a restaurant to have lunch.  You see a picture hanging in a frame in the restroom of the restaurant.  You like it very much.  You look around and don't see any sign by the restaurant owner that says "no photograph" like you see in a gallery.  You take your cell phone out and make a snapshot.  You come back home and try to edit it in PS, after a Google image search of the picture (an attempt to find a place that may be selling it) returns nothing.  You are not quite sure how to do it in PS, so you come to this forum and ask about it just in case.

Could anyone cite the specific US copyright law here and point out any violation of the law in this case?  I'd appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ningz71009935 wrote:

Honestly, I am somewhat amused.

Why? It's simple. Anything you do with this image at home is OK. If you try to distribute it without permission and proper credit, you can't do that. Roughly speaking, but you get the idea.

Whether or not there is a sign in the restaurant is beside the point. It's not their call - it's yours, if you (hypothetically) wanted to publish it. Then you'd simply have to find out who made it, and get permission. It's about protection of intellectual property.

You may not think it's "art", but it's protected by law just the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse,

You and I think the same.  And I thought I'd made clear both the circumstances and my intention.  I apologize for anything, if any, that I might've not made perfectly clear.

And I thank you for the help once again.

Peace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who cares about the legal issues?

The question was how to remove glare/reflection from an object. I have the same issue and this looked like a promising thread.

In my case I am trying to remove a reflection off of a book cover.

Instead this thread was a waste of my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Waste of time? The reflection question was fully and completely answered in post #2. I'd say you hit jackpot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

not everyone is steeling art I do hi gloss automotive style murals and font always have the best environment to photograph my work. but i still need to remove my reflection from the photo or at least lessen its fx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't just "peel off" a reflection - it's an integral part of the image you have. You need to dig in your heels and do it manually. Yes, it's doable, but it can take an incredible amount of time.

Which is why, in my job as an art museum photographer, a large part of my work consists of killing reflections before they hit the camera sensor. For that I use things like cross-polarized lighting setups as well as careful modeling of light sources and directions.

The best way to deal with it IMO is to set up a couple of adjustment layers, some lightening, some darkening - and then inverse the mask to black (to hide the adjustment), and gradually paint in the correction. Hit X to paint back out if you overdo.

Not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. This is difficult work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thanks a lot D Fosse.  I'd go that general direction and try to figure things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or make a quick mask and adjust it in curves and be done with it in 30 seconds.Image.png.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW, are you able to do it to this???? 20180419_174022.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines